Oregon: State of the United States of America
Oregon became the 33rd state admitted to the Union on February 14, 1859. It is located on the West Coast, north of California.
Geography and Climate
Oregon covers 98,466 square miles, making it the ninth largest state. It shares borders with Washington, California, Nevada, Idaho and the Pacific Ocean. The diverse terrain includes volcanic mountains, high deserts, forests, and over 300 miles of scenic Pacific coastline.
Oregon has a temperate climate with mild, wet winters and warm, dry summers. Precipitation is highest along the coast.
Economy and Industry
Major industries important to Oregon’s economy include agriculture, technology, apparel and outdoor gear manufacturing. Abundant natural resources support timber and wood product industries. The state is renowned for its craft beers and Pinot Noir wines.
Leading employers Intel and Nike are headquartered in Oregon. Tourism brings in billions visiting sites like Crater Lake National Park.
Culture and Demographics
Oregon has about 4.2 million residents. It has a relatively homogeneous population, with over 70% white. The culture is often described as casual, progressive and eco-friendly. Portland is known for its hipster vibe and food scene.
Government and Politics
Salem is the state capital and Portland is the largest city. The current Governor is Kate Brown, a Democrat. Oregon has voted Democratic in every presidential election since 1988.
In summary, Oregon is known for its natural scenery, craft beverages, casual lifestyle and pioneering innovations by major companies like Intel and Nike. It has a diverse landscape that supports a strong forestry sector, agriculture and booming technology industry.
Quick Facts about Oregon
|Country :||United States of America|
|Head of government :||Governor of Oregon|
|Area :||255026 km2|
|Water as percent of area :||2.43%|
|Land as percent of area :||97.57%|
|Easternmost point :||Point(-116.463761111 45.611480555)|
|Northernmost point :||Point(-124.025008333 46.291719444)|
|Legislative body :||Oregon Legislative Assembly|
|Named for :||t2115592223|
|Altitude :||3,297 feet / 1005 meters|
|Establishment :||February 02, 1859 (164 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||Pacific Time Zone, America/Los_Angeles|
|Local time :||10:11:07 (7th December 2023)|
|Weather :||27℉ Rain And Snow Likely 7-days weather|
The largest city of Oregon is Portland with a population of 656,751. Other cities include, Salem population 175,891, Eugene population 173,236, Hillsboro population 110,985 and Gresham population 110,031. See all Oregon cities & populated places.
Largest Cities in Oregon (more)
Cities, Towns, Villages, Neighborhoods & Other Populated Places in Oregon.
|Portland||The twenty-sixth most populous city in the United States and the center of the Portland metropolitan area.||Multnomah||656,751|
|Salem||The capital of Oregon.||Marion||175,891|
|Eugene||The second most populous city in Oregon.||Lane||173,236|
|Terrebonne||Census-designated place in Deschutes County, Oregon||Deschutes||117,664|
|Hillsboro||The most populous city in Washington County, Oregon.||Washington||110,985|
|Gresham||The second most populous city in Multnomah County, Oregon.||Multnomah||110,031|
|Bend||The most populous city in Deschutes County, Oregon.||Deschutes||101,886|
|Beaverton||The most populous city in Washington County, Oregon.||Washington||98,957|
|Medford||The most populous city in Jackson County, Oregon.||Jackson||83,412|
|Springfield||The most populous city in Lane County, Oregon.||Lane||63,209|
|Corvallis||The most populous city in Benton County, Oregon.||Benton||59,093|
|Albany||The most populous city in Linn County, Oregon.||Linn||56,129|
|Tigard||The most populous city in Washington County, Oregon.||Washington||56,049|
|Aloha||A city in Clackamas County, Oregon.||Washington||49,425|
|Lake Oswego||A city in Clackamas County, Oregon.||Clackamas||39,821|
|Keizer||City in Oregon, USA||Marion||39,593|
Show more Oregon cities and populated places
Oregon forecast: Rain likely before 7pm, then rain and snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. Southwest wind 12 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than half an inch possible. more
- Official Website
Official website of Oregon
Kate Brown ,
- Lake County
- Lincoln County
- Hood River County
- Polk County
- Douglas County
- Multnomah County
- Marion County
- Coos County
- Linn County
- Curry County
- Baker County
- Columbia County
- Wasco County
- Clackamas County
- Jefferson County
- Umatilla County
- Sherman County
- Morrow County
- Gilliam County
- Yamhill County
- Wallowa County
- Crook County
- Josephine County
- Clatsop County
- Union County
- Benton County
- Deschutes County
- Lane County
- Wheeler County
- Malheur County
- Klamath County
- Washington County
- Grant County
- Harney County
- Tillamook County
- Jackson County
Other Places in Oregon
1 Gold Beach
Oregon, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ 🔗 Url
People born in Oregon (117)
- Gail Simone (American comic book writer) she was born in 29/07/1974
- Gladys Lehman (American screenwriter) she was born in 24/01/1892
- Scott D. Sundberg (American botanist (1954-2004)) he was born in 01/01/1954
- Benjamin Hoff (American writer) he was born in 01/01/1946
- Julia Whelan (American actress) she was born in 08/05/1984
- Kris Slater (American movie actor) he was born in 17/10/1981
- Joe Preston (Bass guitarist) he was born in 01/01/1969
- Deirdre Lorenz (American actor and film producer) she was born in 01/01/2000
- Kyle Mills (American writer) he was born in 01/01/1966
- Lyle Campbell (American Mesoamericanist) he was born in 22/10/1942
- Vic Sears (American football player (1918-2006)) he was born in 14/03/1918
- Len Younce (American football player (1917-2000)) he was born in 08/01/1917
- Tim Cone (American basketball player-coach) he was born in 14/12/1957
- Adam Yahiye Gadahn (Al-Qaida member) he was born in 01/09/1978
- Gordon Haller (American triathlete) he was born in 01/01/1950
- Lisa Brennan-Jobs (writer, journalist, daughter of Steve Jobs) she was born in 17/05/1978
- Tom Everett (American actor) he was born in 21/10/1948
- Ynez Seabury (American actress (1907-1973)) she was born in 26/06/1907
Other places with the same name (6)
- Oregon , Ohio city in Lucas County, Ohio with a population of 20,016 people.
- Oregon , Illinois city in Ogle County, Illinois, United States with a population of 3,449 people.
- Oregon , Wisconsin civil town in Dane County, Wisconsin with a population of 3,343 people.
- Oregon , Pennsylvania human settlement in Pennsylvania, United States with a population of 761 people.
- Oregon , Missouri city in Holt County, Missouri, United States with a population of 735 people.
Oregon Counties (more)
Show more Oregon counties