Madison, Lake County, South Dakota
Madison: City in Lake County, South Dakota, United States
Madison is a city located in the county of Lake in the U.S. state of South Dakota. Its population at the 2010 census was 6,474 and a population density of 1,404 people per km². After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 7,064 inhabitants.
The city was created 143 years ago in 1879.
Quick Facts about Madison
|Population :||7,064 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||South Dakota (United States)|
|County :||Lake County|
|Postal code :||57042|
|Phone Area Codes :||605|
|Area :||4.61 km2|
|Named for :||Madison|
|Altitude :||1,677 feet / 511 meters|
|Capital city :||Madison is capital of Lake County|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1880 (143 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||UTC−06:00|
|Local time :||10:18:47 (8th February 2023)|
|Density :||1,532 Pop. per km² as of 2020|
|Population growth :||8.35% (2010-2020)|
Madison is located at 44°0'22"N 97°6'50"W (44.0060800, -97.1139500).
- Official Website
Official website of Madison
The population of Madison increased by 8.35% in 10 years.
|Estimated population as of July 1, 2019 :||7,806|
|Based on demographic estimates as of April 1, 2010 :||7,984|
|Based on demographic estimates as of 1 April 2010 :||-2.2%|
|April 1, 2020 Population :||8,134|
|April 1, 2010 Population :||7,972|
|People under 5 years old, percentage :||5.6%|
|People under 18 years old, percentage :||16.6%|
|People over 65 (%) :||16.9%|
|Female persons, % :||50.7%|
|White only, percent :||84.4%|
|Black or African American alone, percent :||10.5%|
|American Indian and Alaska Native only, % :||0.2%|
|Asians alone % :||1.8%|
|Only Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders, % :||0.0%|
|% of people who have participated in two or more races :||2.7%|
|% of Hispanic or Latino :||1.9%|
|White people, not Hispanic or Latino people, make up the majority of the population. :||83.4%|
|2015-2019 Veterans :||409|
|Percentage of foreign-born people, 2015-2019 :||5.5%|
|Rate of owner-occupied housing units, 2015-2019 :||55.6%|
|Rate of owner-occupied housing units, 2015-2019 :||55.6%|
|Owner-occupied housing unit median value, 2015-2019 :||$123,700|
|From 2015 to 2019, the median selected monthly owner costs - with a mortgage :||$1,299|
|Monthly owner costs, without a mortgage, at the median, 2015-2019 :||$607|
|2015-2019 median gross rent :||$758|
|2015-2019 Households :||3,946|
|Population per household, 2015-2019 :||1.99|
|Living in the same house a year ago, percentage of people aged one year and up, 2015-2019 :||84.4%|
|Languages other than English spoken at home, as a percentage of people aged 5 and up, 2015-2019 :||5.9%|
|Households with computers, %, 2015-2019 :||88.0%|
|Percentage of households with a broadband Internet subscription, 2015-2019 :||84.1%|
|Percentage of people aged 25 and up with a high school diploma or higher, 2015-2019 :||94.5%|
|Bachelor's degree or higher, proportion of people aged 25 and up, 2015-2019 :||33.6%|
|Percentage of people under the age of 65 who have a disability, 2015-2019 :||13.8%|
|Persons under the age of 65 who do not have health insurance, as a percentage :||7.2%|
|Total civilian labor force, percent of population aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||69.2%|
|Female labor force participation in the civilian labor force, as a percentage of the population aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||62.9%|
|Total sales of lodging and food services in 2012 ($1,000) :||6,599|
|Total receipts/revenue for health care and social assistance in 2012 ($1,000) :||18,523|
|Manufacturers' total shipments in 2012 ($1,000) :||120,652|
|2012 total retail sales ($1,000) :||392,030|
|2012 total retail sales per capita :||$49,244|
|Mean commute time to work (in minutes), workers aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||26.1|
|2015-2019 median household income (in 2019 dollars) :||$52,612|
|Income per capita in the previous 12 months (in 2019 dollars), 2015-2019 :||$32,557|
|Percentage of people living in poverty :||15.3%|
|Total number of businesses in 2012 :||1,039|
|Men-owned businesses in 2012 :||721|
|Women-owned businesses in 2012 :||194|
|Minority-owned businesses in 2012 :||104|
|Non-minority-owned businesses in 2012 :||902|
|Veteran-owned businesses in 2012 :||138|
|Nonveteran-owned businesses in 2012 :||867|
|2010 population per square mile :||4,928.7|
|2010 land area in square miles :||1.62|
People born in Madison (14)
- Mary Hart (Television personality and actress) she was born in 08/11/1950
- Donald James Porter (United States federal judge) he was born in 24/03/1921
- Eugene Luther Vidal (American commercial aviation pioneer and Olympic decathlete (1895-1969)) he was born in 13/04/1895
- Jerry Schemmel (American sportscaster) he was born in 26/11/1959
- Jessica Fjerstad (American beauty pageant contestant) she was born in 01/01/1985
- Maurice Nelles (businessperson) he was born in 19/10/1906
- Rick Weiland (United States politician) he was born in 26/07/1958
- Jerome B. Lammers (American politician) he was born in 29/05/1937
- Steven Haugaard he was born in 07/04/1956
- Royal McCracken he was born in 16/11/1941
- Donald James Parker (American christian author and film director)
Schools in Madison
College & universities near Madison, SD
|219082||Dakota State University||Madison (SD)||57042-1799|
|219356||South Dakota State University||Brookings (SD)||57007-1898|
Post offices near Madison
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Madison Post Office||Madison (SD)||57042|
|Wentworth Post Office||Wentworth (SD)||57075|
|Ramona Post Office||Ramona (SD)||57054|
|Chester Post Office||Chester (SD)||57016|
|Nunda Post Office||Nunda (SD)||57050|
Other places with the same name (23)
- Madison , Alabama city in Madison County, Florida, United States with a population of 52,654 people.
- Madison , Mississippi city in Madison County, Florida, United States with a population of 25,701 people.
- Madison , Connecticut town in Connecticut, United States with a population of 17,924 people.
- Madison , New Jersey borough in Morris County, New Jersey, United States with a population of 17,612 people.
- Madison , Indiana county seat of Jefferson County, Indiana, United States with a population of 11,750 people.
- Madison , Wisconsin city in and county seat of Dane County, Wisconsin, United States, and the capital city of Wisconsin with a population of 6,667 people.
- Madison , Maine town in Somerset County, Maine, United States with a population of 4,696 people.
- Madison , Georgia town in Morgan County, Georgia, United States with a population of 4,258 people.
- Madison , Illinois city in Madison County, Florida, United States with a population of 3,735 people.
- Madison , Florida city in Madison County, Florida, United States with a population of 2,789 people.
- Madison , New Hampshire town in New Hampshire, United States with a population of 2,632 people.
- Madison , West Virginia city in West Virginia, United States with a population of 2,616 people.
- Madison , Nebraska city in Madison County, Florida, United States with a population of 2,343 people.
- Madison , North Carolina town located in Rockingham County, North Carolina, USA with a population of 2,108 people.
- Madison , Ohio city in Lake County, South Dakota, United States with a population of 952 people.
- Madison , Arkansas city in Arkansas, USA with a population of 678 people.
- Madison , Kansas city in Kansas, United States with a population of 606 people.
- Madison , Pennsylvania borough in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, United States with a population of 363 people.
- Madison , Missouri city in Missouri, United States with a population of 304 people.
- Madison , New York city in Madison County, Florida, United States with a population of 283 people.
- Madison , Virginia city in Madison County, Florida, United States with a population of 238 people.
- Madison , Minnesota city in Minnesota, United States with a population of 199 people.
Other cities in Lake County
Cities, Towns, Neighborhoods & Other Populated Places in Lake County , SD.
|Chester||765||Township in Lake County, South Dakota|
|Wentworth||467||Incorporated village in South Dakota, United States|
|Franklin||340||Township in Lake County, South Dakota|
|Rutland||212||Unincorporated community in South Dakota|
|Ramona||202||Human settlement in Lake County, South Dakota, United States of America|
|Winfred||166||Township in Lake County, South Dakota|
|Nunda||129||Township in Lake County, South Dakota|
|Orland||108||Township in Lake County, South Dakota|
|Brant Lake||58||Census-designated place in South Dakota, USA|
Distance to Other Cities
Madison distances to largest South Dakota cities