Worcester: The second most populous city in Massachusetts. It is located in the central part of the state. Worcester is known for its many colleges and universities, its many parks and green spaces, and its many attractions, such as the Worcester Art Museum and the Higgins Armory Museum.
Worcester is a city located in the county of Worcester in the U.S. state of Massachusetts. Its population at the 2010 census was 181,045 and a population density of 1,818 people per km². After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 184,570 inhabitants.
The city was created 350 years ago in 1672.
As the second largest city in New England, Worcester provides the perfect blend of history, culture, dining, and recreation. With top-notch museums, colleges, and performing arts, there's something for everyone.
Colleges and Education
Worcester is home to nine higher education institutions including Worcester Polytechnic Institute and College of the Holy Cross, lending youth and innovation to the city. Many cultural sites like the EcoTarium science museum connect to local colleges.
The Worcester Art Museum, with over 35,000 pieces, connects the city's past and present as both a forefather of American industry and vibrant cultural hub.
History comes to life at Worcester's Higgins Armory Museum displaying impressive collections of arms and armor. The American Antiquarian Society preserves early American newspapers, pamphlets, and books dating back to colonial times.
At the Worcester Historical Museum visitors immerse themselves in Worcester's past innovations, like Robert Goddard's 1930s rocketry.
Dining and Entertainment
Worcester's dining scene impresses with unique eateries like the classic railroad dining at The Tunnel District and farm-to-table gastropub armsby abbey. The 1870 Mechanics Hall still hosts concerts and events in its stunning stained glass atrium.
New craft breweries and eclectic shops make Worcester's present just as vibrant as its celebrated past.
Quick Facts about Worcester
|Population :||184,570 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Massachusetts (United States)|
|County :||Worcester County|
|Postal code :||01601–01610, 01612–01615, 01653–01655|
|Area :||99.57 km2|
|Official name :||Worcester|
|Altitude :||479 feet / 146 meters|
|Capital city :||Worcester is capital of Worcester County|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1970 (350 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||Eastern Time Zone|
|Local time :||09:45:15 (6th December 2023)|
|Density :||1,854 Pop. per km² as of 2020|
|Population growth :||1.91% (2010-2020)|
Worcester is located at 42°15'45"N 71°48'8"W (42.2625900, -71.8022900).
- Official Website
Official website of Worcester
The population of Worcester increased by 1.91% in 10 years.
Best Things to Do in Worcester
222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15089292700 🔗 Url
2 Worcester Art Museum
55 Salisbury St, Worcester, MA 01609, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15087994406 🔗 Url
3 Live Action Escapes
1 Exchange St, Worcester, MA 01608, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15087531856 🔗 Url
4 Crompton Park
47 Quinsigamond Ave, Worcester, MA 01610, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ 🔗 Url
5 Bancroft Tower
Bancroft Tower Rd, Worcester, MA 01602, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15087991190 🔗 Url
Other Places in Worcester
1 Worcester City Hall
455 Main St UNIT 309, Worcester, MA 01608 ➦ Show Map
☎ +15089291300 🔗 Url
2 Worcester Parking Adm
455 Main St # 203, Worcester, MA 01608 ➦ Show Map
☎ +15087998656 🔗 Url
3 Worcester Treasurer
City Hall, 455 Main St #203, Worcester, MA 01608 ➦ Show Map
☎ +15087991075 🔗 Url
4 Worcester Retirement System
455 Main St #103, Worcester, MA 01608 ➦ Show Map
☎ +15087991062 🔗 Url
5 Department of Early Education and Care Central Region Office
324 - R Clark St, Worcester, MA 01606, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15087985180 🔗 Url
People born in Worcester (200)
- Elizabeth Bishop (American poet) she was born in 08/02/1911
- Alicia Witt (American actress) she was born in 21/08/1975
- Lillian Asplund (One of the last three living survivors:RMS Titanic on April 15, 1912) she was born in 21/10/1906
- Samuel Fuller (American screenwriter, actor and film director (1912-1997)) he was born in 12/08/1912
- Albina Osipowich (American swimmer, Olympic gold medalist, former world record-holder) she was born in 26/02/1911
- H. Jon Benjamin (American actor and comedian) he was born in 23/05/1966
- Abbie Hoffman (American political and social activist (1936-1989)) he was born in 30/11/1936
- Denis Leary (American actor and comedian) he was born in 18/08/1957
- Ronald Dworkin (American legal philosopher) he was born in 11/12/1931
- Kenneth O'Donnell (American political aide (1924-1977)) he was born in 04/03/1924
- Jordan Knight (Canadian-American singer-songwriter and actor) he was born in 17/05/1970
- Erik Per Sullivan (American actor) he was born in 12/07/1991
- Arthur Kennedy (American stage and film actor (1914-1990)) he was born in 17/02/1914
- Don Fagerquist (American musician) he was born in 06/02/1927
- Russ Adams (American photojournalist) he was born in 30/07/1930
- Jean Louisa Kelly (American actress) she was born in 09/03/1972
- George Cowan (American physical chemist, businessman and philanthropist) he was born in 15/02/1920
- Lewis Stone (actor from the United States (1879-1953)) he was born in 15/11/1879
Schools in Worcester
College & universities near Worcester, MA
|373696||Rob Roy Academy-Worcester||Worcester (MA)||01609|
|164720||Becker College||Worcester (MA)||01609-2165|
|168421||Worcester Polytechnic Institute||Worcester (MA)||01609-2280|
|164599||Bancroft School of Massage Therapy||Worcester (MA)||01604|
|165334||Clark University||Worcester (MA)||01610-1477|
Amtrak & bus stations near Worcester, MA
|WOR||Union Station||2 Washington Square||RAIL|
|FRA||Framingham station||417 Waverly St.||RAIL|
|RTE||Route 128 station||50 University Ave||RAIL|
|PVD||Providence station||100 Gaspee Street||RAIL|
|BBY||Back Bay station||145 Dartmouth St.||RAIL|
Post offices near Worcester
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Main Str Post Office||Worcester (MA)||01608|
|Worcester Post Office||Worcester (MA)||01613|
|West Sid Post Office||Worcester (MA)||01602|
|Webster Squar Post Office||Worcester (MA)||01603|
|Greendal Post Office||Worcester (MA)||01606|
Other places with the same name (5)
- Worcester , Pennsylvania township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania with a population of 10,472 people.
- Worcester , New York city in Otsego County, New York, United States of America with a population of 2,059 people.
- Worcester , Wisconsin town in Wisconsin, United States with a population of 1,473 people.
- Worcester , Vermont town in Vermont, United States with a population of 1,028 people.
Other cities in Worcester County
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in Worcester County , MA. (more)
|Leominster||41,548||The largest city in Worcester County, Massachusetts.|
|Fitchburg||40,310||The county seat of Worcester County, Massachusetts.|
|Shrewsbury||38,910||Town in Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States|
|Milford||28,965||Town in Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States|
|Gardner||20,585||City in Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States|
|Holden||19,259||Town in Massachusetts|
|Grafton||19,082||Town in Massachusetts|
|Westborough||19,063||Town in Massachusetts|
|Webster||16,822||City in Massachusetts, US|
|Southbridge||16,788||City in Worcester County, Massachusetts, USA|
|Auburn||16,701||Town in Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States|
|Northbridge||16,621||Town in Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States of America|
|Northborough||15,038||City in Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States of America|
|Uxbridge||14,352||Town in Worcester County, Massachusetts|
|Millbury||13,973||Town in Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States|
|Clinton||13,952||Town in Worcester County, Massachusetts|
Distance to Other Cities
Worcester distances to largest Massachusetts cities