Salem Utah County, Utah
Salem: City in Utah County, Utah, United States
Salem is a city located in the county of Utah in the U.S. state of Utah. Its population at the 2010 census was 6,423. After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 8,866 inhabitants.
The city was created 171 years ago in 1850.
Salem Quick Facts
|Population :||8,866 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Utah (United States)|
|County :||Utah County|
|Postal code :||84653|
|Phone Area Codes :||801, 385|
|Water as percent of area :||0.23%|
|Land as percent of area :||99.77%|
|Named for :||Salem|
|Altitude :||4,610 feet / 1405 meters|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1851 (171 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||Mountain Time Zone|
|Local time :||21:09:29 (28th May 2022)|
|Population growth :||27.55% (2010-2020)|
The population of Salem increased by 27.55% in 10 years.
|Estimated population as of July 1, 2019 :||523,542|
|Based on demographic estimates as of April 1, 2010 :||451,211|
|Based on demographic estimates as of 1 April 2010 :||16.0%|
|April 1, 2020 Population :||525,534|
|April 1, 2010 Population :||451,225|
|People under 5 years old, percentage :||6.2%|
|People under 18 years old, percentage :||22.9%|
|People over 65 (%) :||16.1%|
|Female persons, % :||51.5%|
|White only, percent :||76.3%|
|Black or African American alone, percent :||18.4%|
|American Indian and Alaska Native only, % :||0.5%|
|Asians alone % :||2.7%|
|Only Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders, % :||0.1%|
|% of people who have participated in two or more races :||2.0%|
|% of Hispanic or Latino :||9.5%|
|White people, not Hispanic or Latino people, make up the majority of the population. :||68.0%|
|2015-2019 Veterans :||29,534|
|Percentage of foreign-born people, 2015-2019 :||8.6%|
|Residential units, July 1, 2019 :||218,206|
|Residential units, July 1, 2019 :||218,206|
|Rate of owner-occupied housing units, 2015-2019 :||67.5%|
|Owner-occupied housing unit median value, 2015-2019 :||$183,800|
|From 2015 to 2019, the median selected monthly owner costs - with a mortgage :||$1,278|
|Monthly owner costs, without a mortgage, at the median, 2015-2019 :||$369|
|2015-2019 median gross rent :||$918|
|Permits for construction, 2020 :||6,122|
|2015-2019 Households :||192,975|
|Population per household, 2015-2019 :||2.57|
|Living in the same house a year ago, percentage of people aged one year and up, 2015-2019 :||84.2%|
|Languages other than English spoken at home, as a percentage of people aged 5 and up, 2015-2019 :||12.0%|
|Households with computers, %, 2015-2019 :||89.9%|
|Percentage of households with a broadband Internet subscription, 2015-2019 :||83.3%|
|Percentage of people aged 25 and up with a high school diploma or higher, 2015-2019 :||88.0%|
|Bachelor's degree or higher, proportion of people aged 25 and up, 2015-2019 :||35.1%|
|Percentage of people under the age of 65 who have a disability, 2015-2019 :||8.8%|
|Persons under the age of 65 who do not have health insurance, as a percentage :||13.3%|
|Total civilian labor force, percent of population aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||64.4%|
|Female labor force participation in the civilian labor force, as a percentage of the population aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||59.1%|
|Total sales of lodging and food services in 2012 ($1,000) :||999,853|
|Total receipts/revenue for health care and social assistance in 2012 ($1,000) :||2,261,746|
|Manufacturers' total shipments in 2012 ($1,000) :||9,628,087|
|2012 total retail sales ($1,000) :||6,380,518|
|2012 total retail sales per capita :||$13,645|
|Mean commute time to work (in minutes), workers aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||23.1|
|2015-2019 median household income (in 2019 dollars) :||$60,351|
|Income per capita in the previous 12 months (in 2019 dollars), 2015-2019 :||$32,679|
|Percentage of people living in poverty :||10.7%|
|Total number of employer establishments, 2019 :||13,859|
|2019 total employment :||245,614|
|2019 total annual payroll ($1,000) :||11,265,528|
|Total employment, change in percentage terms, 2018-2019 :||2.3%|
|2018 total non-employer establishments :||41,965|
|Total number of businesses in 2012 :||41,898|
|Men-owned businesses in 2012 :||23,209|
|Women-owned businesses in 2012 :||13,867|
|Minority-owned businesses in 2012 :||7,683|
|Non-minority-owned businesses in 2012 :||32,566|
|Veteran-owned businesses in 2012 :||4,767|
|Nonveteran-owned businesses in 2012 :||34,638|
|2010 population per square mile :||574.7|
|2010 land area in square miles :||785.12|
Schools in Salem
College & universities near Salem, UT
|459541||American Beauty Academy||Payson (UT)||84651|
|475495||Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions||Provo (UT)||84606|
|451574||Aveda Institute-Provo||Provo (UT)||84601|
|461342||Acaydia School of Aesthetics||Provo (UT)||84601-0000|
|380438||Provo College||Provo (UT)||84601|
Amtrak & bus stations near Salem, UT
|PRO||Provo||300 West 600 South||RAIL|
|HER||Helper||1 Depot Street||RAIL|
|SLC||Salt Lake City Intermodal Hub||340 South 600 West||RAIL|
|SLB||Salt Lake City Intermodal Hub||300 South 600 West||BUS|
Post offices near Salem
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Salem Post Office||Salem (UT)||84653|
Other places with the same name (25)
- Salem , Oregon city and capital of Oregon, USA with a population of 175,891 people.
- Salem , Massachusetts city in Massachusetts, United States with a population of 43,581 people.
- Salem , New Hampshire town in New Hampshire, United States with a population of 30,641 people.
- Salem , Virginia City in Page County, Virginia, United States with a population of 25,340 people.
- Salem , Illinois city in Illinois with a population of 6,952 people.
- Salem , Michigan township in Washtenaw County, Michigan with a population of 6,464 people.
- Salem , Pennsylvania township in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania with a population of 6,367 people.
- Salem , Indiana city in Washington Township, Washington County, Indiana, United States with a population of 6,236 people.
- Salem , Indiana city in Washington Township, Washington County, Indiana, United States with a population of 6,217 people.
- Salem , Missouri city in Missouri, United States with a population of 4,874 people.
- Salem , New Jersey city in Salem County, New Jersey, USA with a population of 4,713 people.
- Salem , Connecticut town in New London County, Connecticut, United States with a population of 4,083 people.
- Salem , New York city in Washington Township, Washington County, Indiana, United States with a population of 2,607 people.
- Salem , North Carolina township in Burke County, North Carolina with a population of 2,218 people.
- Salem , Arkansas city in Arkansas, United States with a population of 1,655 people.
- Salem , West Virginia city in West Virginia with a population of 1,511 people.
- Salem , Ohio city in Ohio with a population of 956 people.
- Salem , Kentucky city in Kentucky, United States with a population of 717 people.
- Salem , Wisconsin civil town in Kenosha County, Wisconsin with a population of 529 people.
- Salem , Iowa city in Iowa, United States with a population of 380 people.
- Salem , Kansas city (possibly historical) with a population of 305 people.
- Salem , South Dakota city in South Dakota, United States of America with a population of 153 people.
- Salem , South Carolina town in South Carolina, United States with a population of 153 people.
- Salem , Nebraska village in Nebraska, United States with a population of 103 people.
Other cities in Utah County
Cities, Towns, Neighborhoods & Other Populated Places in Utah County , UT. (more)
|Provo||116,295||City in and county seat of Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Orem||98,970||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Lehi||73,383||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Eagle Mountain||42,013||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Spanish Fork||41,268||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Pleasant Grove||38,241||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Saratoga Springs||35,501||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|American Fork||33,896||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Springville||33,572||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Payson||21,033||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Highland||17,989||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Santaquin||13,507||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Vineyard||12,570||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Lindon||11,462||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Mapleton||11,139||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Alpine||10,495||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
Distance to Other Cities
Salem distances to largest Utah cities