Orem: The second most populous city in Utah County, Utah. It is located on the shores of Utah Lake in central Utah. Orem is known for its many parks and green spaces, its many historical sites, and its many attractions, such as the Orem Public Library and the Orem Museum of Art.
Orem is a city located in the county of Utah in the U.S. state of Utah. Its population at the 2010 census was 88,328 and a population density of 1,846 people per km². After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 98,970 inhabitants.
The city was created 146 years ago in 1876.
Orem is a city located in Utah County, Utah, about 45 miles south of Salt Lake City. With a population of over 97,000, it is the largest city in Utah County. Orem is situated next to Provo, Utah.
History of Orem
Orem was incorporated as a city in 1919. It was originally known as Provo Bench and later Orem, named after Walter Orem, the owner of the railroad that operated in the area.
Orem saw rapid growth after World War II when Geneva Steel opened. Other factors like the construction of I-15 and the proximity to BYU also contributed to Orem's expansion.
Key Locations and Characteristics
Some of the main areas and landmarks in Orem include:
- Utah Valley University - One of the largest universities in Utah with over 40,000 students. UVU brings youth and vibrancy to Orem.
- Orem City Center - This mixed-use development houses retail, restaurants, office space, and high-rise apartments and condos. It serves as a downtown area.
- Provo Canyon - The canyon provides access to hiking and skiing in the Wasatch Mountains.
- Orem Owlz Baseball - A minor league baseball team that plays at the Brent Brown Ballpark.
Orem has easy access to technology jobs with companies like Adobe, as well as outdoor recreation with the mountains and lakes nearby. It provides a balanced lifestyle next to the larger city of Provo. Orem is a growing hub for business, education, and culture in Utah County.
Quick Facts about Orem
|Population :||98,970 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Utah (United States)|
|County :||Utah County|
|Area :||47.85 km2|
|Altitude :||4,774 feet / 1455 meters|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1877 (146 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||Mountain Time Zone|
|Local time :||06:31:56 (6th December 2023)|
|Postal code :||84057|
|Density :||2,068 Pop. per km² as of 2020|
|Population growth :||10.75% (2010-2020)|
|Weather :||28℉ Haze 7-days weather|
Orem forecast: Haze. Mostly clear. Low around 28, with temperatures rising to around 30 overnight. East southeast wind around 5 mph. more
- Official Website
Official website of Orem
Orem has 3 neighbours.
- Lindon city in Utah County, Utah, United States
- Provo The second most populous city in Utah. It is located in the Salt Lake Valley region of Utah. Provo is known for its many colleges and universities, its many parks and green spaces, and its many attractions, such as Brigham Young University and the BYU Museum of Art.
- Vineyard city in Utah County, Utah, United States
The population of Orem increased by 10.75% in 10 years.
People born in Orem (32)
- Kristin Hildebrand (American volleyball player) she was born in 30/06/1985
- Scott Pinckney (professional golfer) he was born in 13/03/1989
- Quinn Allman (American guitarist) he was born in 18/01/1982
- Brian Wimmer (actor) he was born in 01/10/1959
- Erin Thorn (American basketball player-coach) she was born in 19/05/1981
- Jeph Howard (American musician) he was born in 04/01/1979
- Allison Holker (American dancer) she was born in 06/02/1988
- Dave Kruger (Player of American football) he was born in 17/05/1990
- Gary Crowton (American football coach) he was born in 14/06/1957
- Joe Kruger (American football player, defensive end) he was born in 04/06/1992
- LaVell Edwards (American football player and coach) he was born in 11/10/1930
- Mollee Gray (American singer, actor and dancer) she was born in 15/05/1991
- Tai Wesley (American basketball player) he was born in 13/05/1986
- Setema Gali (American football defensive end) he was born in 02/07/1976
- Jennifer Hamson (US volleyball and basketball player) she was born in 23/01/1992
- Deanne Soza (American artistic gymnast) she was born in 24/09/2001
- Haight Cheney (American amateur wrestler) he was born in 27/12/1984
- DeAnna Bennett (American mixed martial artist) she was born in 18/11/1984
Schools in Orem
College & universities near Orem, UT
|436270||Cortiva Institute-Orem||Orem (UT)||84057|
|230630||Stevens-Henager College||Orem (UT)||84058|
|230737||Utah Valley University||Orem (UT)||84058-5999|
|229957||AmeriTech College-Provo||Provo (UT)||84604|
|448239||Careers Unlimited||Orem (UT)||84058|
Amtrak & bus stations near Orem, UT
|PRO||Provo||300 West 600 South||RAIL|
|SLC||Salt Lake City Intermodal Hub||340 South 600 West||RAIL|
|SLB||Salt Lake City Intermodal Hub||300 South 600 West||BUS|
|HER||Helper||1 Depot Street||RAIL|
|OGD||Ogden, Utah||2393 Wall Avenue||BUS|
Post offices near Orem
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Orem Post Office||Orem (UT)||84057|
|Mountain Shadow Post Office||Orem (UT)||84097|
|Pleasant Grov Post Office||Pleasant Grove (UT)||84062|
|Prov Post Office||Provo (UT)||84601|
|Prov Post Office||Provo (UT)||84606|
Other cities in Utah County
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in Utah County , UT. (more)
|Provo||116,295||The second most populous city in Utah.|
|Lehi||73,383||The most populous city in Utah County, Utah.|
|Eagle Mountain||42,013||A city in Utah County, Utah.|
|Spanish Fork||41,268||A city in Utah County, Utah.|
|Pleasant Grove||38,241||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Saratoga Springs||35,501||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|American Fork||33,896||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Springville||33,572||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Payson||21,033||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Highland||17,989||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Santaquin||13,507||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Vineyard||12,570||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Lindon||11,462||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Mapleton||11,139||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Alpine||10,495||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
|Cedar Hills||9,985||City in Utah County, Utah, United States|
Distance to Other Cities
Orem distances to largest Utah cities