Lynn: The third most populous city in Essex County, Massachusetts. It is located on the Atlantic Ocean in northeastern Massachusetts. Lynn is known for its many parks and green spaces, its many historical sites, and its many attractions, such as the Lynn Museum and the Lynn Arts Center.
Lynn is a city located in the county of Essex in the U.S. state of Massachusetts. Its population at the 2010 census was 90,329 and a population density of 2,579 people per km². After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 94,539 inhabitants.
The city was created 394 years ago in 1628.
Lynn is a coastal New England city located just north of Boston in Essex County, Massachusetts. It sits along the Atlantic coast and boasts a natural harbor.
Lynn was first settled by European colonists in 1629. Early settlers used the area for agriculture and livestock grazing. Lynn was incorporated as a town in 1631.
In the 1800s, Lynn grew as a center of shoe manufacturing. Numerous factories and firms were producing millions of shoes annually, earning its nickname "Shoe City."
Lynn became a diversified industrial hub in the late 19th and early 20th century. It was home to GE jet engine, machine parts, and electrical factories.
While manufacturing has declined, Lynn remains a working-class industrial city with over 90,000 residents today. It has a growing arts scene and emerging technology sector.
Popular attractions include the Lynn Museum & Historical Society, downtown Lynn, and the waterfront Lynn Heritage State Park. Lynn honors its past while evolving.
Lynn emerged from an early colonial settlement into a major manufacturing and industrial center. Its shoe manufacturing legacy and evolution as a diversified factory hub mark key eras in its history. Lynn balances its blue-collar roots with cultural rejuvenation.
Quick Facts about Lynn
|Population :||94,539 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Massachusetts (United States)|
|County :||Essex County|
|Postal code :||01901–01905|
|Area :||35.03 km2|
|Altitude :||30 feet / 9 meters|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1629 (394 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||Eastern Time Zone|
|Local time :||02:48:26 (29th November 2023)|
|Density :||2,699 Pop. per km² as of 2020|
|Population growth :||4.45% (2010-2020)|
|Weather :||38℉ Mostly Sunny 7-days weather|
The population of Lynn increased by 4.45% in 10 years.
Best Things to Do in Lynn
1 Lynn Woods.
106 Pennybrook Rd, Lynn, MA 01905, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17814777123 🔗 Url
2 High Rock Tower Park
30 Circuit Ave, Lynn, MA 01902, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17815866770 🔗 Url
3 Keaney Park
83 Memorial Park Ave, Lynn, MA 01902, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17814777096 🔗 Url
4 Lynn Museum/LynnArts
590 Washington St, Lynn, MA 01901, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17815816200 🔗 Url
5 The Stone Tower
Cooke Rd, Lynn, MA 01904, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17814777123 🔗 Url
Other Places in Lynn
1 Lynn City Hall
3 City Hall Square, Lynn, MA 01901 ➦ Show Map
☎ +17815984000 🔗 Url
People born in Lynn (198)
- Walter Brennan (American actor (1894-1974)) he was born in 25/07/1894
- Leonard Feeney (American priest) he was born in 18/02/1897
- Lynn Thorndike (American historian) he was born in 24/07/1882
- Amy Spanger (American actress, singer and dancer) she was born in 21/08/1971
- Lesley Stahl (American journalist) she was born in 16/12/1941
- Christopher Caldwell (American political writer) he was born in 01/01/1962
- Ruth Bancroft Law (American aviation pioneer) she was born in 21/03/1887
- Verna Bloom (American actress (1938-2019)) she was born in 07/08/1938
- Harold Shapero (American composer) he was born in 29/04/1920
- Biff Elliot (American actor (1923-2012)) he was born in 26/07/1923
- Alex Newell (American singer) he was born in 20/08/1992
- Lawrence Joseph Henderson (American biochemist) he was born in 03/06/1878
- Mike Ness (Musician, singer, songwriter, guitarist) he was born in 03/04/1962
- Ernie Anderson (American disc jockey, and television and radio announcer/voiceover artist (1923-1997)) he was born in 12/11/1923
- Norman Levinson (American mathematician) he was born in 11/08/1912
- Frank G. Allen (American politician (1874-1950)) he was born in 06/10/1874
- Peter T. Washburn (American politician (1814-1870)) he was born in 07/09/1814
- Neil Hamilton (American actor) he was born in 09/09/1899
Schools in Lynn
College & universities near Lynn, MA
|167729||Salem State University||Salem (MA)||01970|
|442815||The Salter School-Malden Campus||Malden (MA)||02148|
|407179||Empire Beauty School-Malden||Malden (MA)||02148|
|373678||New England Hair Academy||Malden (MA)||02148|
|166911||Montserrat College of Art||Beverly (MA)||01915-4508|
Amtrak & bus stations near Lynn, MA
|BOS||South Station||2 South Station||RAIL|
|BON||North Station||100 Legends Way||RAIL|
|WOB||Anderson Regional Transportation Center||100 Atlantic Ave.||RAIL|
|BBY||Back Bay station||145 Dartmouth St.||RAIL|
|RTE||Route 128 station||50 University Ave||RAIL|
Post offices near Lynn
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Lynn Post Office||Lynn (MA)||01901|
|East Lynn Post Office||Lynn (MA)||01904|
|West Lynn Post Office||Lynn (MA)||01905|
|Swam Post Office||Swampscott (MA)||01907|
|Saugu Post Office||Saugus (MA)||01906|
Other places with the same name (8)
- Lynn , Pennsylvania township in Lehigh County, Pennsylvania with a population of 4,440 people.
- Lynn , Indiana town in Randolph County, Indiana, United States with a population of 1,006 people.
- Lynn , Wisconsin town in Clark County, Wisconsin, United States with a population of 885 people.
- Lynn , Alabama town in Winston County, Alabama, United States with a population of 632 people.
- Lynn , Ohio unincorporated community in Ohio, United States with a population of 555 people.
- Lynn , Arkansas town in Lawrence County, Arkansas, United States with a population of 259 people.
- Lynn , Nebraska human settlement in United States of America with a population of 57 people.
Other cities in Essex County
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in Essex County , MA. (more)
|Lawrence||80,007||The third most populous city in Massachusetts.|
|Haverhill||64,098||The most populous city in Essex County, Massachusetts.|
|Peabody||53,063||A city in Essex County, Massachusetts.|
|Methuen||50,910||The most populous city in Essex County, Massachusetts.|
|South Peabody||50,293||A census-designated place in Essex County, Massachusetts.|
|Salem||43,581||The capital of Massachusetts.|
|Beverly||42,242||A city in Essex County, Massachusetts.|
|Beverly Cove||40,365||A census-designated place in Barnstable County, Massachusetts.|
|Andover||36,554||Town in Essex County, Massachusetts, United States|
|North Andover||31,460||Town in Essex County, Massachusetts, United States|
|Gloucester||30,539||City on Cape Ann in Essex County, Massachusetts, in the United States|
|Saugus||28,542||Town in Massachusetts|
|Danvers||27,571||Town in Essex County, Massachusetts, United States|
|Marblehead||20,551||Town in Essex County, Massachusetts, United States|
|Newburyport||18,495||City in Massachusetts|
|Amesbury||17,537||City in Massachusetts|
Distance to Other Cities
Lynn distances to largest Massachusetts cities