Lowell: The third most populous city in Massachusetts. It is located on the Merrimack River in northeastern Massachusetts. Lowell is known for its many textile mills, its many parks and green spaces, and its many attractions, such as the Lowell National Historical Park and the Lowell National Historical Park Visitor Center.
Lowell is a city located in the county of Middlesex in the U.S. state of Massachusetts. Its population at the 2010 census was 106,519 and a population density of 2,831 people per km². After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 110,904 inhabitants.
The city was created 370 years ago in 1652.
Lowell is a city located in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, situated along the Merrimack River. Historically a manufacturing center, it is home to over 115,000 residents and continues to evolve into a lively creative community.
History and Culture
Lowell has a storied history as one of America's early industrial cities and a center of textile manufacturing powered by canal systems during the 19th century. Today, the city celebrates its heritage through the Lowell National Historical Park and draws artists and cultural sites to its vibrant downtown.
While manufacturing still contributes to Lowell's economy, the city now relies heavily on the service, healthcare, and education sectors for employment. The University of Massachusetts Lowell and Middlesex Community College support workforce development. Recent projects have focused on downtown revitalization.
Recreation and the Outdoors
Lowell promotes access to natural areas and recreational opportunities along the Merrimack River. Boott Cotton Mills Museum, the Whistler House Museum of Art, and festivals like the Lowell Folk Festival attract tourists annually. The Lowell Spinners baseball team is also popular entertainment.
Lowell provides relatively affordable housing options compared to Greater Boston. Historic homes and converted commercial buildings offer urban living spaces. The city does struggle with poverty and crime rates in certain neighborhoods. Overall, Lowell blends a unique past with ongoing renewal.
Quick Facts about Lowell
|Population :||110,904 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Massachusetts (United States)|
|County :||Middlesex County|
|Twitter username :||CityofLowellMA|
|Phone Area Codes :||978|
|Area :||37.63 km2|
|Named for :||Francis Cabot Lowell|
|Altitude :||102 feet / 31 meters|
|Capital city :||Lowell is capital of Middlesex County|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1653 (370 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||Eastern Time Zone|
|Local time :||02:39:23 (29th November 2023)|
|Postal code :||01850|
|Density :||2,947 Pop. per km² as of 2020|
|Population growth :||3.95% (2010-2020)|
The population of Lowell increased by 3.95% in 10 years.
Best Things to Do in Lowell
1 Lowell National Historical Park
246 Market St, Lowell, MA 01852, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +19789705000 🔗 Url
2 Shedd Park
453 Rogers St, Lowell, MA 01852, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +19786744175 🔗 Url
3 Lowell Heritage State Park
160 Pawtucket Blvd, Lowell, MA 01854, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +19784588750 🔗 Url
4 Boott Cotton Mills Museum
115 John St, Lowell, MA 01852, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +19789705000 🔗 Url
5 Regatta Festival Field
381 Pawtucket Blvd, Lowell, MA 01854, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +19786744175 🔗 Url
Where ot Eat in Lowell
1 99 Restaurants
850 Chelmsford St, Lowell, MA 01851, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +19784589199 🔗 Url
2 Outback Steakhouse
28 Reiss Ave, Lowell, MA 01851, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +19789348700 🔗 Url
3 Chili's Grill & Bar
26 Reiss Ave, Lowell, MA 01851, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +19789371565 🔗 Url
4 Bowlero Lowell
647 Pawtucket Blvd, Lowell, MA 01854, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +19784540476 🔗 Url
5 Paradise Biryani Pointe
1689 Middlesex St, Lowell, MA 01851, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +19786777181 🔗 Url
Where to Stay in Lowell
1 Sonesta Select Boston Lowell
30 Industrial Ave E, Lowell, MA 01852, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +19784587575 🔗 Url
Other Places in Lowell
1 Lowell City Hall
375 Merrimack St, Lowell, MA 01852 ➦ Show Map
☎ +19786744000 🔗 Url
People born in Lowell (198)
- Johnny Thomson (American racing driver) he was born in 09/04/1922
- James Abbott McNeill Whistler (American painter (1834-1903)) he was born in 10/07/1834
- Olympia Dukakis (American actress) she was born in 20/06/1931
- Charles Sweeney (United States general) he was born in 27/12/1919
- Nancy Kelly (actress) she was born in 25/03/1921
- Paul Tsongas (American politician (1941-1997)) he was born in 14/02/1941
- Michael Chiklis (actor) he was born in 30/08/1963
- Scott Grimes (actor, voice actor, singer-songwriter) he was born in 09/07/1971
- Vince Vouyer (American movie actor) he was born in 01/06/1966
- Marty Meehan (United States Representative from the 5th district of Massachusetts) he was born in 30/12/1956
- Helen Sawyer Hogg (astronomer) she was born in 01/08/1905
- Andrew K. Hay (American politician (1809-1881)) he was born in 19/01/1809
- Richard M. Linnehan (American astronaut) he was born in 19/09/1957
- Frederick Aiken (American lawyer, journalist, and soldier) he was born in 20/09/1832
- George Whitefield Chadwick (American composer) he was born in 13/11/1854
- Alex Oriakhi (American basketball player) he was born in 21/06/1990
- Micky Ward (American-Irish boxer) he was born in 04/10/1965
- Boney James (American recording artist; saxophonist, songwriter, and record producer) he was born in 01/09/1961
Schools in Lowell
College & universities near Lowell, MA
|166498||Lowell Academy Hairstyling Institute||Lowell (MA)||01852-1909|
|166513||University of Massachusetts-Lowell||Lowell (MA)||01854-5104|
|382416||Greater Lowell Technical School||Tyngsboro (MA)||01879|
|410964||EINE Inc||Tewksbury (MA)||01876|
|369002||Massachusetts School of Law||Andover (MA)||01810|
Amtrak & bus stations near Lowell, MA
|WOB||Anderson Regional Transportation Center||100 Atlantic Ave.||RAIL|
|NSH||Nashua, NH||8 North Southwood Drive||BUS|
|HHL||Haverhill station||Washington Street at Railroad Square||RAIL|
|BON||North Station||100 Legends Way||RAIL|
|BBY||Back Bay station||145 Dartmouth St.||RAIL|
Post offices near Lowell
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Downtown Lowell Post Office||Lowell (MA)||01852|
|Lowell Post Office||Lowell (MA)||01854|
|Highland Post Office||Lowell (MA)||01851|
|Chelmsford Post Office||Chelmsford (MA)||01824|
|Dracu Post Office||Dracut (MA)||01826|
Other places with the same name (13)
- Lowell , Indiana town in Lake County, Indiana, United States with a population of 10,137 people.
- Lowell , Arkansas city in Benton Count, Arkansas, United States with a population of 9,876 people.
- Lowell , Indiana town in Lake County, Indiana, United States with a population of 9,450 people.
- Lowell , Michigan city in Kent County, Michigan, United States with a population of 4,196 people.
- Lowell , North Carolina city in Gaston County, North Carolina, United States with a population of 3,744 people.
- Lowell , Oregon city in Lane County, Oregon, United States with a population of 1,197 people.
- Lowell , Wisconsin village in Dodge County, Wisconsin, United States with a population of 1,158 people.
- Lowell , Vermont census-designated place in the town of Lowell Orleans County, Vermont, United States with a population of 780 people.
- Lowell , Kansas Census-designated place in Cherokee County, Kansas, United States with a population of 639 people.
- Lowell , Ohio village in Washington County, Ohio, United States with a population of 529 people.
- Lowell , Maine town in Penobscot County, Maine, United States with a population of 361 people.
- Lowell , Nebraska human settlement in United States of America with a population of 180 people.
Other cities in Middlesex County
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in Middlesex County , MA. (more)
|Cambridge||119,192||The most populous city in Middlesex County, Massachusetts.|
|City of Lowell||109,945||The third most populous city in Massachusetts.|
|City of Cambridge||107,289||City in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, United States|
|Newton||87,803||The most populous city in Middlesex County, Massachusetts.|
|Somerville||80,935||A city in Middlesex County, Massachusetts.|
|City of Somerville||75,754||A city in Middlesex County, Massachusetts.|
|Framingham||73,892||Town in Massachusetts|
|Framingham Center||65,413||A census-designated place (CDP) in Framingham, Massachusetts.|
|Waltham||62,069||A city in Middlesex County, Massachusetts.|
|Medford||60,847||The most populous city in Middlesex County, Massachusetts.|
|Malden||59,922||The most populous city in Middlesex County, Massachusetts.|
|Everett||46,107||A city in Middlesex County, Massachusetts.|
|Arlington||45,169||Town in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, United States|
|Billerica||43,021||Town in Massachusetts|
|Woburn||40,135||A city in Middlesex County, Massachusetts.|
|Marlborough||39,290||City in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, United States|
Distance to Other Cities
Lowell distances to largest Massachusetts cities