Hawaii: State of the United States of America, located on an archipelago in the Pacific Ocean
Hawaii became the 50th and most recent state admitted to the Union on August 21, 1959. It is the only state located in Oceania and the only one comprised entirely of islands.
The Hawaiian archipelago consists of 137 volcanic islands, atolls, and reefs spanning 1,500 miles. The six largest islands are Hawaii, Maui, Oahu, Kauai, Molokai and Lanai. Hawaii's total area is 10,931 square miles. The islands are known for their diverse natural scenery of volcanoes, tropical forests, beaches and coral reefs.
Hawaii has a tropical climate all year round with average highs of 85-90°F.
History and Culture
Hawaii has a unique Polynesian culture influenced by native Hawaiians, Asian immigrants and American settlers. Native Hawaiians arrived first, traveling from other Polynesian islands like Tahiti.
The islands were united under King Kamehameha I. Later important events include the arrival of Christian missionaries, the overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy, Hawaii becoming a U.S. territory, and finally statehood.
Economy and Industry
Key industries include tourism, agriculture and defense. Tourism drives the economy. Popular destinations include Waikiki Beach, Volcanoes National Park, the Pearl Harbor memorial and historic sites like the USS Arizona. Agriculture produces macadamia nuts, pineapples, coffee, sugarcane and more. The U.S. Pacific Fleet is headquartered at Pearl Harbor.
Government and Politics
Honolulu, located on Oahu, is the state capital and largest city. The current governor is David Ige, a Democrat. Hawaii has reliably voted Democratic in presidential elections since 1988.
In summary, Hawaii is the island state known for tropical landscapes, Polynesian culture and the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Tourism, agriculture and military presence shape the economy today. Hawaii offers a unique blend of island beauty, traditions and American influence.
Quick Facts about Hawaii
|Country :||United States of America|
|Different from :||Hawaii|
|Head of government :||Governor of Hawaii|
|Area :||28311 km2|
|Water as percent of area :||41.25%|
|Land as percent of area :||58.75%|
|Legislative body :||Hawaii State Legislature|
|Named for :||Hawaii, Hawaiiloa, Hawaiki, Kingdom of Hawaiʻi|
|Official language :||Hawaiian, English|
|Altitude :||3,035 feet / 925 meters|
|Establishment :||August 08, 1959 (64 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||Pacific/Honolulu, Hawaii–Aleutian Time Zone|
|Local time :||21:00:48 (30th November 2023)|
|Weather :||64℉ Chance Showers And Thunderstorms 7-days weather|
Hawaii is located at 20°47'16"N 156°23'10"W (20.7878500, -156.3861200).
The largest city of Hawaii is Honolulu with a population of 371,657. Other cities include, Hālawa Heights population 13,408, Waianae population 13,177, Lahaina population 11,704 and Hawaiian Paradise Park population 11,404. See all Hawaii cities & populated places.
Largest Cities in Hawaii (more)
Cities, Towns, Villages, Neighborhoods & Other Populated Places in Hawaii.
|Honolulu||The most populous city in Hawaii and the center of the Honolulu metropolitan area.||Honolulu||371,657|
|East Honolulu||Census-designated place in Honolulu County, Hawaii, United States of America||Honolulu||49,914|
|Pearl City||Census-designated place in Honolulu County, Hawaii, United States of America||Honolulu||47,698|
|Hilo||Census-designated place in Hawaii, United States||Hawaii||43,263|
|Kailua||Census designated place in Hawaii County, Hawaii, United States||Honolulu||38,635|
|Waipahu||Census designated place in Honolulu County, Hawaii, United States||Honolulu||38,216|
|Kaneohe||Census-designated place in Honolulu County, Hawaii, United States of America||Honolulu||34,597|
|Mililani Town||Census-designated place in Honolulu County, Hawaii, United States of America||Honolulu||27,629|
|Kahului||Census designated place||Maui||26,337|
|‘Ewa Gentry||Census-designated place in Honolulu County, Hawaii, United States of America||Honolulu||22,690|
|Kīhei||Census designated place||Maui||20,881|
|Makakilo City||Census-designated place in Honolulu County, Hawaii, United States of America||Honolulu||18,248|
|Wahiawā||Census-designated place in Hawaii, United States||Honolulu||17,821|
|Wailuku||Census-designated place in Maui County, Hawaiʻi, United States||Maui||15,313|
|Kapolei||Census-designated place in Honolulu County, Hawaii, United States||Honolulu||15,186|
|‘Ewa Beach||Census-designated place in Honolulu County, Hawaii, United States of America||Honolulu||14,955|
Show more Hawaii cities and populated places
Hawaii forecast: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Cloudy, with a low around 64. South wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. more
- Official Website
Official website of Hawaii
- Linda Lingle , 6 December, 2010 2002-12-02T00:00:00Z
- Ben Cayetano , 2 December, 2002 1994-12-02T00:00:00Z
- John D. Waihee III , 2 December, 1994 1986-12-02T00:00:00Z
- William F. Quinn , 3 December, 1962 1959-08-21T00:00:00Z
- George Ariyoshi , 1 December, 1986 1972-12-02T00:00:00Z
- John A. Burns , 2 December, 1974 1962-12-03T00:00:00Z
- Neil Abercrombie , 1 December, 2014 2010-12-06T00:00:00Z
- David Ige , 2014-12-01T00:00:00Z
- Ehime Prefecture (2003 )
- Fukuoka Prefecture (1981 )
- Hiroshima Prefecture (1997 )
- Okinawa Prefecture (1985 )
- Maui County
- Kauai County
- Honolulu County
- Hawaii County
- Kalawao County
People born in Hawaii (158)
- Bobby Lowe (martial artist) he was born in 23/08/1929
- John Guerin (American drummer) he was born in 31/10/1939
- Randall Duk Kim (Korean American actor) he was born in 24/09/1943
- Michael Hoffman (American film director) he was born in 30/11/1956
- Kaui Hart Hemmings (American writer) she was born in 01/01/1975
- Sara Lov (American singer) she was born in 08/10/1971
- Don Muraco (American professional wrestler) he was born in 10/09/1949
- Michael Okuda (graphic designer known for working on Star Trek) he was born in 01/01/2000
- Benjamin W.S. Lum (American actor (1953-2002)) he was born in 09/05/1953
- Katie Kox (American movie actress and adult model) she was born in 17/12/1985
- Albert Pyun (film director) he was born in 19/05/1953
- George Varoff (American pole vaulter) he was born in 25/03/1914
- Al Dacascos he was born in 06/09/1942
- Richard Lee (American martial arts master) he was born in 18/06/1933
- Brian Haberlin (Co-creator of the "Witchblade" comic books) he was born in 01/01/1963
- Danielle Delaunay (American singer active in Japan) she was born in 06/09/1983
- Joy Monahan (American surfer) she was born in 01/01/1953
- Kazimir Strzepek (cartoonist) he was born in 01/01/1978
Show more Hawaii counties