Charleston, South Carolina
Charleston: The most populous city in South Carolina. It is located on the Ashley and Cooper rivers in southeastern South Carolina. Charleston is known for its many historic buildings, its many parks and green spaces, and its many attractions, such as the Charleston Museum and the Fort Sumter National Monument.
Charleston is a city located in the county of Charleston in the U.S. state of South Carolina. Its population at the 2010 census was 120,083. After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 139,714 inhabitants.
The city was created 353 years ago in 1669.
Charleston was founded in 1670 and originally named Charles Town after King Charles II. It was one of the largest cities and leading ports in the American South by the 1700s. Charleston played a major role in the Antebellum Era and as a hub for the slave trade.
The city suffered damage during the Civil War but continued to grow as an ocean port and railroad center into the 1900s. Tourism also became an important industry as Charleston leveraged its history, architecture, and hospitality.
Key Facts About Modern Charleston
Here are some key details about Charleston today:
- Population: Around 137,000 residents in the city proper as of 2019. The metro area is much larger.
- Economy: Major industries include tourism, education, manufacturing, technology, and port operations. The city is home to Medical University of South Carolina.
- Neighborhoods: Iconic areas include the historic downtown French Quarter, Battery District, and South of Broad. Other notable communities are Johns Island and Daniel Island.
- Attractions: Popular sites include Fort Sumter, Magnolia Plantation, Middleton Place, waterfront parks, and preserved antebellum mansions and churches.
- Food: Charleston is renowned as a global food destination, known for Lowcountry cuisine like she crab soup, shrimp and grits, and gourmet Gullah cooking.
Charleston's southern charm, hospitality, and historic beauty make it a premier travel destination. But it is also a modern, thriving city focused on economic diversity.
Quick Facts about Charleston
|Population :||139,714 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||South Carolina (United States)|
|County :||Charleston County|
|Phone Area Codes :||843|
|Official name :||Charleston|
|Water as percent of area :||16.99%|
|Land as percent of area :||83.01%|
|Named for :||Charles II of England|
|Altitude :||20 feet / 6 meters|
|Capital city :||Charleston is capital of Charleston County, Province of South Carolina|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1670 (353 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||Eastern Time Zone|
|Local time :||18:46:39 (3rd December 2023)|
|Postal code :||29401|
|Population growth :||14.05% (2010-2020)|
|Weather :||72℉ Chance Showers And Thunderstorms 7-days weather|
Charleston is located at 32°46'36"N 79°55'51"W (32.7765700, -79.9309200).
Charleston forecast: Areas of fog before 7am, then areas of fog and a slight chance of rain showers between 7am and 8am, then a chance of rain showers and patchy fog between 8am and 11am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a high near 72. Southwest wind 8 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts less than a tenth of an inch possible. more
- Official Website
Official website of Charleston
- Tempelhof (2000 )
The population of Charleston increased by 14.05% in 10 years.
Best Things to Do in Charleston
1 Historic Charleston City Market
188 Meeting St, Charleston, SC 29401, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18439370920 🔗 Url
2 Joe Riley Waterfront Park
Vendue Range, Concord St, Charleston, SC 29401, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ 🔗 Url
3 Bulldog Tours
18 Anson St, Charleston, SC 29401, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18437228687 🔗 Url
4 Magnolia Plantation and Gardens
3550 Ashley River Rd, Charleston, SC 29414, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18435711266 🔗 Url
5 South Carolina Aquarium
100 Aquarium Wharf, Charleston, SC 29401, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18435773474 🔗 Url
Where ot Eat in Charleston
771 Daniel Ellis Dr, Charleston, SC 29412, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18437625888 🔗 Url
740 Folly Rd, Charleston, SC 29412, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18437958323 🔗 Url
3 Bahama Breeze
7811 Rivers Ave, Charleston, SC 29406, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18434055779 🔗 Url
4 Huddle House
933 Folly Rd, Charleston, SC 29412, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18437627404 🔗 Url
5 Zaxby's Chicken Fingers & Buffalo Wings
1018 Folly Rd, Charleston, SC 29412, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18437621919 🔗 Url
Where to Stay in Charleston
1 Hyatt House Charleston/Historic District
560 King St, Charleston, SC 29403, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18434144900 🔗 Url
2 The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel
115 Meeting St, Charleston, SC 29401, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18435772400 🔗 Url
3 Charleston Marriott
170 Lockwood Dr, Charleston, SC 29403, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18437233000 🔗 Url
4 Charleston Place, A Belmond Hotel, Charleston
205 Meeting St, Charleston, SC 29401, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18437224900 🔗 Url
5 Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, an IHG Hotel
425 Meeting St, Charleston, SC 29403, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18437182327 🔗 Url
Other Places in Charleston
1 James Island Town Hall
1122 Dills Bluff Rd, Charleston, SC 29412 ➦ Show Map
☎ +18437954141 🔗 Url
2 Charleston City Hall
80 Broad St, Charleston, SC 29401 ➦ Show Map
☎ +18435776970 🔗 Url
3 HCA South Atlantic Division
115 Central Island St Ste 400, Charleston, SC 29492, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18438567910 🔗 Url
4 US Vegetable Laboratory
2700 Savannah Hwy, Charleston, SC 29414, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18434025300 🔗 Url
5 Charleston Human Resources
75 Calhoun St #3600, Charleston, SC 29401 ➦ Show Map
☎ +18437247388 🔗 Url
6 Charleston Planning Department
2 George St, Charleston, SC 29401 ➦ Show Map
☎ +18437243765 🔗 Url
7 Dorchester County EMS Medic 6
8045 Dorchester Rd, Charleston, SC 29418, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18435522425 🔗 Url
8 North Charleston Business Lcns
2500 City Hall Ln, Charleston, SC 29406 ➦ Show Map
☎ +18437402634 🔗 Url
9 Charleston Clerk of Council
80 Broad St, Charleston, SC 29401 ➦ Show Map
☎ +18437243727 🔗 Url
10 North Charleston Mechanical
2500 City Hall Ln, Charleston, SC 29406 ➦ Show Map
☎ +18437402567 🔗 Url
People born in Charleston (200)
- Jakob August Lorent (German chemist, botanist, archaeologist and photographer (1813-1884)) he was born in 12/12/1813
- Pete Briggs (American musician) he was born in 01/01/1904
- William Porcher Miles (American politician (1822-1899)) he was born in 04/07/1822
- Isaac Edward Holmes (American politician (1796-1867)) he was born in 06/04/1796
- William Valk (American Civil War surgeonand politician (1806-1879)) he was born in 12/10/1806
- Tom Delaney (British racing driver) he was born in 08/01/1911
- Henry Middleton (Plantation owner and public official from South Carolina (1717-1784)) he was born in 01/01/1717
- Robert Jordan (American writer) he was born in 17/10/1948
- Jacob Read (American politician (1752-1816)) he was born in 01/01/1752
- Josh Powell (American basketball player) he was born in 25/01/1983
- Lezley Zen (American movie actress) she was born in 19/02/1974
- Mackenzie Rosman (American actress) she was born in 28/12/1989
- Melanie Thornton (singer) she was born in 13/05/1967
- Alexandra Ripley (American writer) she was born in 08/01/1934
- Helen Chandler (American actress) she was born in 01/02/1906
- Lauren Hutton (American model, actress, and entrepreneur) she was born in 17/11/1943
- Thomas Gibson (American actor and director) he was born in 03/07/1962
- Barnard Elliott Bee (United States Army officer and Confederate States Army general during the American Civil War) he was born in 08/02/1824
Schools in Charleston
College & universities near Charleston, SC
|217819||College of Charleston||Charleston (SC)||29424-0001|
|218335||Medical University of South Carolina||Charleston (SC)||29425|
|451510||Charleston School of Law||Charleston (SC)||29403|
|217864||Citadel Military College of South Carolina||Charleston (SC)||29409|
|487807||Top of the Line Barber College||Charleston (SC)||29407-2228|
Amtrak & bus stations near Charleston, SC
|CHS||Charleston, South Carolina||4565 Gaynor Avenue||RAIL|
|YEM||Yemassee||9 Main Street||RAIL|
|KTR||Kingstree||101 East Main St.||RAIL|
Post offices near Charleston
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Charleston Post Office||Charleston (SC)||29401|
|East Bay Post Office||Charleston (SC)||29403|
|James Island Post Office||Charleston (SC)||29412|
|Saint Andrew Post Office||Charleston (SC)||29407|
|Mount Pleasan Post Office||Mount Pleasant (SC)||29464|
Other places with the same name (13)
- Charleston , West Virginia The capital of West Virginia. It is located on the Kanawha River in the eastern part of the state. Charleston is known for its many parks and green spaces, its many historical sites, and its many attractions, such as the West Virginia State Capitol and the Clay Center for the Arts and Sciences. with a population of 45,879 people.
- Charleston , Illinois city in Illinois with a population of 20,034 people.
- Charleston , Missouri city in Missouri with a population of 5,015 people.
- Charleston , Pennsylvania township in Tioga County, Pennsylvania with a population of 3,390 people.
- Charleston , Arkansas city in Arkansas, USA with a population of 2,500 people.
- Charleston , Michigan township in Sanilac County, Michigan, United States with a population of 2,048 people.
- Charleston , Mississippi city in Tallahatchie County, Mississippi with a population of 1,882 people.
- Charleston , Maine human settlement in Penobscot County, Maine, United States of America with a population of 1,675 people.
- Charleston , New York town in Montgomery County, New York with a population of 1,318 people.
- Charleston , Tennessee human settlement in Bradley County, Tennessee, United States of America with a population of 706 people.
- Charleston , Utah town in Wasatch County, Utah, United States with a population of 496 people.
- Charleston , Kansas human settlement in United States of America with a population of 74 people.
Other cities in Charleston County
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in Charleston County , SC.
|North Charleston||118,752||The second most populous city in Charleston County, South Carolina.|
|Mount Pleasant||92,799||The second most populous city in Charleston County, South Carolina.|
|Hollywood||5,268||Town in South Carolina|
|Isle of Palms||4,371||City in Charleston County, South Carolina, United States|
|Ravenel||2,768||Human settlement in Charleston County, South Carolina, United States of America|
|Folly Beach||2,682||City in South Carolina, United States|
|Lincolnville||2,624||City in South Carolina, United States of America|
|Seabrook Island||1,880||City in Charleston County, South Carolina, United States of America|
|Sullivans Island||1,791||Island in the United States of America|
|Kiawah Island||1,765||City in Charleston County, South Carolina, United States of America|
|Awendaw||1,568||City in Charleston County, South Carolina, United States of America|
|McClellanville||547||Town in Charleston County, South Carolina, United States|
|Rockville||138||Town in South Carolina|
Distance to Other Cities
Charleston distances to largest South Carolina cities