Visalia: The fifth most populous city in Tulare County, California. It is located in the San Joaquin Valley region of California. Visalia is known for its many citrus groves, its many parks and green spaces, and its many attractions, such as the Visalia Fox Theatre and the Visalia Museum of Art.
Visalia is a city located in the county of Tulare in the U.S. state of California. Its population at the 2010 census was 124,442. After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 135,007 inhabitants.
The city was created 149 years ago in 1873.
Visalia was founded in 1852 and incorporated in 1874. It emerged as a hub for gold miners headed to the foothills of the Sierra Nevada.
As mining declined, Visalia became the county seat of Tulare County and a thriving agricultural community. Cattle ranching and citrus orchards were major industries that fueled growth through the early 20th century.
New residents and businesses moved to Visalia after WWII, diversifying its economy. Rapid population expansion came in the 1970s and 80s as people sought affordable Central Valley housing.
Key Facts About Modern Visalia
Here are some key details about Visalia today:
- Population: Around 140,000 residents, making it the 5th largest city in the Central Valley.
- Economy: Agriculture and food production remain large industries. Major employers include Tulare County government, Kaweah Delta Medical Center, and College of the Sequoias.
- Neighborhoods: Areas range from historic Downtown to new planned developments like The Lakes and Ivanhoe. Housing stock includes Victorian homes, mid-century ranches and modern houses.
- Parks and Rec: Visalia has 90 public parks with jogging trails, golf courses, skate parks, and sports fields. Popular spots are Riverway Sports Park and Mill Creek.
- Attractions: Visalia is home to the Tulare County Museum, Rawhide Baseball Stadium, and Sequoia Riverlands Trust wildlife preserve.
Visalia retains its small-town Central Valley roots even as it continues to grow. The community cherishes its heritage while enhancing quality of life and amenities.
Quick Facts about Visalia
|Population :||135,007 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||California (United States)|
|County :||Tulare County|
|Postal code :||93277|
|Phone Area Codes :||559|
|Water as percent of area :||0.05%|
|Land as percent of area :||99.95%|
|Altitude :||331 feet / 101 meters|
|Capital city :||Visalia is capital of Tulare County|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1874 (149 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||Pacific Time Zone|
|Local time :||21:54:37 (4th December 2023)|
|Population growth :||7.83% (2010-2020)|
|Weather :||42℉ Patchy Fog 7-days weather|
The population of Visalia increased by 7.83% in 10 years.
People born in Visalia (56)
- Anna Jean Ayres (American Occupational Therapist and Educational Psychologist) she was born in 01/01/1920
- Tom Johnston (American musician, recording artist) he was born in 15/08/1948
- Stephen H. Burum (American cinematographer (b.1939)) he was born in 25/11/1939
- Cal Dooley (American politician) he was born in 11/01/1954
- Aaron Hill (baseball player) he was born in 21/03/1982
- Tyler Zeller (American basketball player) he was born in 17/01/1990
- Albert E. Carter (American politician (1881-1964)) he was born in 05/07/1881
- John Bynum (American basketball player) he was born in 23/02/1978
- Chris Schwinden (baseball player) he was born in 22/09/1986
- DJ LeMahieu (American baseball player) he was born in 13/07/1988
- Kazuo Otani (United States Army Medal of Honor recipient) he was born in 02/06/1918
- Shane Costa (American baseball player) he was born in 12/12/1981
- Stephen Vogt (American baseball player) he was born in 01/11/1984
- Arizona Charlie (American showman (1859-1932)) he was born in 10/03/1859
- Beau Mills (American baseball player) he was born in 15/08/1986
- Bob Talbot (American baseball player) he was born in 06/06/1927
- Bobby Downes (American film producer) he was born in 17/10/1967
- Brian Sites (American actor) he was born in 21/06/1983
Schools in Visalia
College & universities near Visalia, CA
|417062||Estes Institute of Cosmetology Arts and Science||Visalia (CA)||93291|
|123217||College of the Sequoias||Visalia (CA)||93277-2214|
|454573||Milan Institute of Cosmetology-Visalia||Visalia (CA)||93277|
|112288||Milan Institute-Visalia||Visalia (CA)||93277|
|122685||San Joaquin Valley College-Visalia||Visalia (CA)||93291-9283|
Amtrak & bus stations near Visalia, CA
|VIS||Visalia, California||425 E. Oak Street||BUS|
|GSN||Goshen Junction, California||30435 Road 68||BUS|
|HNF||Hanford station||200 Santa Fe Avenue #A||RAIL|
|COC||Corcoran station||1099 Otis Ave.||RAIL|
|LMC||Lemoore, California||300 E Street||BUS|
Post offices near Visalia
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Town Center Post Office||Visalia (CA)||93291|
|Lovers Lan Post Office||Visalia (CA)||93292|
|Visalia Post Office||Visalia (CA)||93277|
|Millennium Post Office||Visalia (CA)||93291|
|Farmersvill Post Office||Farmersville (CA)||93223|
Other cities in Tulare County
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in Tulare County , CA.
|Tulare||66,797||The most populous city in Tulare County, California.|
|Porterville||58,949||The most populous city in Tulare County, California.|
|Dinuba||25,225||City in Tulare County, California, United States|
|Lindsay||12,908||City in Tulare County, California, United States|
|Farmersville||10,812||City in Collin County, Texas, United States|
|Exeter||10,423||City in Tulare County, California, United States|
|Orosi||8,770||Census-designated place in Tulare County, California|
|Earlimart||8,537||Census-designated place in Tulare County, California|
|Woodlake||7,654||City in Tulare County, California, United States|
|East Porterville||6,767||Census-designated place in Tulare County, California|
|Ivanhoe||4,495||Census-designated place in Tulare County, California|
|Terra Bella||3,310||Census designated place in California, USA|
|Pixley||3,310||Census designated place|
|Richgrove||2,882||Census-designated place in Tulare County, California|
Distance to Other Cities
Visalia distances to largest California cities