Rockford: The second most populous city in Illinois. It is located in the northwestern part of the state. Rockford is known for its many manufacturing companies, its many parks and green spaces, and its many attractions, such as the Rockford Art Museum and the Burpee Museum of Natural History.
Rockford is a city located in the county of Winnebago in the U.S. state of Illinois. Its population at the 2010 census was 152,871 and a population density of 915 people per km². After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 144,835 inhabitants.
The city was created 189 years ago in 1833.
Rockford is a city located along the Rock River in northern Illinois, just south of the Wisconsin border. With a population of over 147,000 residents, it is the third largest city in Illinois behind Chicago and Aurora.
The Rockford area was first inhabited by Native American tribes like the Winnebago. The first European settlers arrived in the 1830s and founded the city of Rockford in 1834.
Rockford soon emerged as an important manufacturing hub. The river provided water power that enabled all kinds of industries like paper mills, furniture makers, and heavy machinery production. The city was also connected via rail to Chicago in 1852.
Major Manufacturing Center
By the early 1900s, Rockford had firmly established itself as a leading manufacturing center. Several major companies were founded and based in Rockford including Ingersoll Machine Tools and Rockford Silverplate Co.
Other major employers like automotive parts maker Woodward Inc. further strengthened Rockford's industrial base.
Arts and Culture
Beyond manufacturing, Rockford is also known for:
- The Burpee Museum of Natural History and Midway Village museum
- Coronado Theater - A historic vaudeville and movie palace
- Rockford Art Museum - Home to a noted collection of Americana art
- Local music scene that spawned bands like Cheap Trick
While industry has declined in recent decades, Rockford retains its blue-collar roots while rebuilding its economy and community.
Quick Facts about Rockford
|Population :||144,835 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Illinois (United States)|
|County :||Winnebago County|
|Postal code :||61101-61110, 61112, 61114, 61125, 61126|
|Phone Area Codes :||815|
|Area :||167.01 km2|
|Official name :||Rockford|
|Altitude :||715 feet / 218 meters|
|Capital city :||Rockford is capital of Winnebago County|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1834 (189 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||UTC−06:00, UTC−05:00|
|Local time :||01:45:30 (1st December 2023)|
|Density :||867 Pop. per km² as of 2020|
|Population growth :||-5.55% (2010-2020)|
|Weather :||29℉ Mostly Cloudy then Snow Likely 7-days weather|
Rockford is located at 42°16'16"N 89°5'38"W (42.2711300, -89.0940000).
Rockford forecast: Snow likely after midnight. Mostly cloudy. Low around 29, with temperatures rising to around 32 overnight. North wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no snow accumulation expected. more
- Official Website
Official website of Rockford
- Borgholm Municipality
According to census records, the population of Rockford decreased by 5.55% in 10 years.
Best Things to Do in Rockford
1 Anderson Japanese Gardens
318 Spring Creek Rd, Rockford, IL 61107, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18152299390 🔗 Url
2 Sinnissippi Gardens
1354 N 2nd St, Rockford, IL 61107, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18159878858 🔗 Url
3 Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens
1354 N 2nd St, Rockford, IL 61107, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18159878858 🔗 Url
4 Discovery Center Museum
711 N Main St, Rockford, IL 61103, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18159636769 🔗 Url
5 Burpee Museum of Natural History
737 N Main St, Rockford, IL 61103, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18159653433 🔗 Url
Where ot Eat in Rockford
1 Golden Corral Buffet & Grill
995 S Perryville Rd, Rockford, IL 61108, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18159775916 🔗 Url
2 Texas Roadhouse
7240 Walton St, Rockford, IL 61108, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18152271283 🔗 Url
3 Olive Garden Italian Restaurant
6367 E State St, Rockford, IL 61108, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18153993176 🔗 Url
4 Red Lobster
5827 E State St, Rockford, IL 61108, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18153975682 🔗 Url
5 Red Robin Gourmet Burgers and Brews
7029 E State St, Rockford, IL 61108, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18153997582 🔗 Url
Where to Stay in Rockford
1 Red Roof Inn Rockford
7434 E State St, Rockford, IL 61108, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18153989750 🔗 Url
2 Radisson Hotel & Conference Center Rockford
200 S Bell School Rd, Rockford, IL 61108, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17795138228 🔗 Url
3 Extended Stay America - Rockford - State Street
747 N Bell School Rd, Rockford, IL 61107, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18153978316 🔗 Url
4 Studio 6 Rockford, IL
4850 E State St, Rockford, IL 61108, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18153985050 🔗 Url
People born in Rockford (200)
- Ginger Lynn (American movie actress) she was born in 14/12/1962
- Steve Cherundolo (American soccer player) he was born in 19/02/1979
- James Cartwright (United States Marine Corps general) he was born in 22/09/1949
- James Henry Breasted (American archaeologist, egyptologist and historian) he was born in 27/08/1865
- Alston Scott Householder (American mathematician) he was born in 05/05/1904
- Bun E. Carlos (American musician) he was born in 12/06/1950
- Gordon Tullock (American economist) he was born in 16/02/1922
- Thomas G. Doran (Catholic bishop) he was born in 20/02/1936
- Charles Henry Gilbert (American ichthyologist) he was born in 05/12/1859
- Leland Ossian Howard (American entomologist) he was born in 11/06/1857
- Ed Viesturs (American mountain climber) he was born in 22/07/1959
- Kasey James (American professional wrestler) he was born in 20/03/1982
- John B. Anderson (American politician (1922-2017)) he was born in 15/02/1922
- Stewart Brand (American writer) he was born in 14/12/1938
- Jodi Benson (American voice actress, actress, and singer) she was born in 10/10/1961
- Chad Knaus (NASCAR crew chief) he was born in 05/08/1971
- Rick Nielsen (American musician) he was born in 22/12/1948
- Denny Christianson (American musician) he was born in 12/09/1942
Schools in Rockford
College & universities near Rockford, IL
|148399||Madison Media Institute-Rockford Career College||Rockford (IL)||61108|
|148405||Rockford University||Rockford (IL)||61108-2311|
|455008||Tricoci University of Beauty Culture-Rockford||Rockford (IL)||61108|
|448673||Rasmussen College-Illinois||Rockford (IL)||61108-2513|
|260965||Educators of Beauty College of Cosmetology-Rockford||Rockford (IL)||61114|
Amtrak & bus stations near Rockford, IL
|RCK||Rockford, Illinois||7559 Walton St.||BUS|
|BET||South Beloit, Illinois||15766 Manchester Road||BUS|
|JVL||Janesville, Wisconsin||3120 North Pontiac Drive||BUS|
|MDT||Mendota station||783 Main Street||RAIL|
|PLO||Plano||101 West Main Street||RAIL|
Post offices near Rockford
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Downtown Rockford Post Office||Rockford (IL)||61101|
|East Rockford Post Office||Rockford (IL)||61107|
|Broadway Post Office||Rockford (IL)||61104|
|Kilburn Rockford Post Office||Rockford (IL)||61101|
|New Towne Rockford Carr Annx Post Office||Rockford (IL)||61125|
Other places with the same name (10)
- Rockford , Michigan city in Kent County, Michigan with a population of 6,395 people.
- Rockford , Minnesota city in Minnesota, United States with a population of 3,377 people.
- Rockford , Ohio human settlement in Mercer County, Ohio, United States of America with a population of 1,105 people.
- Rockford , Tennessee city in Tennessee, United States with a population of 851 people.
- Rockford , Iowa human settlement in Floyd County, Iowa, United States of America with a population of 813 people.
- Rockford , Washington city in Spokane County, Washington state with a population of 493 people.
- Rockford , Alabama town in Alabama, United States of America with a population of 440 people.
- Rockford , Nebraska city in United States of America with a population of 278 people.
- Rockford , Missouri unincorporated community in Missouri with a population of 95 people.
Other cities in Winnebago County
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in Winnebago County , IL.
|Loves Park||23,382||City north of Rockford, Illinois|
|Machesney Park||22,678||Village in the U.|
|South Beloit||7,540||City in Winnebago County, Illinois, United States|
|Rockton||7,477||Illinois village near the Wisconsin border|
|Winnebago||2,973||City in Minnesota, United States|
|Cherry Valley||2,853||Township in Winnebago County, Illinois|
|Harlem||2,114||Township in Winnebago County, Illinois, United States|
|Lake Summerset||2,048||Census designated place|
|Pecatonica||1,926||City in Illinois, United States of America|
|Durand||1,387||Village in the United States|
|Shirland||944||Township in Winnebago County, Illinois|
|Seward||874||Human settlement in Illinois, United States of America|
|New Milford||851||Human settlement in Illinois, United States of America|
Distance to Other Cities
Rockford distances to largest Illinois cities