Oxford: City in Lafayette County, Mississippi, United States of America
Oxford is a city located in the county of Amite in the U.S. state of Mississippi. Its population at the 2010 census was 18,916 and a population density of 444 people per km². After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 28,635 inhabitants.
The city was created 186 years ago in 1836.
Oxford is a city in Lafayette County, Mississippi, United States. It has a population of about 25,000 people. Oxford is best known as the home of the University of Mississippi, commonly known as "Ole Miss".
Oxford was founded in 1837 and was named after the university city of Oxford in England. The area was originally covered by forests and was inhabited by the Chickasaw Indians. The town grew up around the University of Mississippi, which was established in 1848.
During the American Civil War, Oxford saw skirmishes between the Confederate and Union forces. The Lyceum, the oldest building at Ole Miss, still has bullet holes from these skirmishes. After the war, Oxford slowly recovered and continued to grow.
The University of Mississippi
The University of Mississippi, or "Ole Miss", is the flagship university for the state. It has a long history and beautiful campus. Notable alumni include Nobel Prize winning author William Faulkner, NFL quarterback Eli Manning, and US Senator Thad Cochran.
The campus includes historic landmarks like the Lyceum, Rowan Oak (Faulkner's home), and the Grove. The Grove is the center of game day activities and tailgating before football games. On game days, the small town becomes a sea of red and blue as tens of thousands of fans flood the campus.
Downtown Oxford centers around the historic town square. The Square is lined with restaurants, boutiques, and art galleries. Local favorites include Bottletree Bakery, Square Books, and City Grocery Restaurant. The courthouse sits in the center of the Square.
There are many preserved examples of antebellum architecture around the Square, such as St. Peter's Church and Memory House. The historic Lafayette County Courthouse stands out with its distinctive clocktower.
Oxford has a thriving arts and music scene. The Oxford Film Festival attracts filmmakers from around the world each year. Oxford is close to Memphis and often attracts touring musicians and artists.
Literary greats like William Faulkner, Larry Brown, Barry Hannah, and Joanna Cassidy all called Oxford home at some point. Oxford takes pride in its literary history.
So in summary, Oxford is a historic college town with great food, culture, and SEC football. The beautiful campus and Square make it a popular weekend getaway destination and place to retire.
Quick Facts about Oxford
|Population :||28,635 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Mississippi (United States)|
|County :||Amite County|
|Postal code :||38655|
|Phone Area Codes :||662|
|Area :||42.6 km2|
|Altitude :||505 feet / 154 meters|
|Capital city :||Oxford is capital of Lafayette County|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1837 (186 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||America/Chicago|
|Local time :||15:49:15 (24th September 2023)|
|Density :||672 Pop. per km² as of 2020|
|Population growth :||33.94% (2010-2020)|
|Weather :||91℉ Mostly Sunny then Slight Chance Showers And Thunderstorms 7-days weather|
The population of Oxford increased by 33.94% in 10 years.
People born in Oxford (37)
- Lorenzen Wright (American basketball player) he was born in 04/11/1975
- R. L. Burnside (American blues singer, songwriter, and guitarist) he was born in 23/11/1926
- Larry Brown (Novelist, short story writer, essayist, memoirist) he was born in 09/07/1951
- Arthur Guyton (American physiologist) he was born in 08/09/1919
- Jason Parker (American basketball player) he was born in 18/12/1981
- Angela McGlowan (American television personality) she was born in 03/03/1970
- Armegis Spearman (American football player) he was born in 05/04/1978
- Bill Hawks (American politician) he was born in 22/11/1944
- Billy Clay (American football player) he was born in 26/04/1944
- Charles Bowen Howry (American politician) he was born in 14/05/1844
- Culley Rikard (Baseball player and coach) he was born in 09/05/1914
- Daniel Isom Sultan (United States general) he was born in 09/12/1885
- Henry Lamar (American football coach, boxing coach and executive) he was born in 26/01/1906
- Hugh Freeze (American football coach, offensive coordinator of the University of Tennessee) he was born in 27/09/1969
- Jack Latvala (American politician) he was born in 03/11/1951
- Jim Urbanek (American football player (1945-2009)) he was born in 08/04/1945
- Joseph Whitehead (American businessman) he was born in 01/01/1864
- Kimberly Morgan (American model) she was born in 22/02/1983
Schools in Oxford
College & universities near Oxford, MS
|176354||Southwest Mississippi Community College||Summit (MS)||39666-0000|
Amtrak & bus stations near Oxford, MS
|MCB||McComb||114 Northeast Railroad Ave.||RAIL|
|BRH||Brookhaven||East Monticello St. and South Railroad Ave.||RAIL|
|HAZ||Hazlehurst station||North Ragsdale Ave and East Conway St.||RAIL|
|HMD||Hammond||404 N.E. Railroad Ave.||RAIL|
|BTR||Baton Rouge, Louisiana||1253 Florida St.||BUS|
Post offices near Oxford
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Gloster Post Office||Gloster (MS)||39638|
Other places with the same name (22)
- Oxford , Ohio city in Butler County, Ohio, United States of America with a population of 23,535 people.
- Oxford , Mississippi city in Lafayette County, Mississippi, United States of America with a population of 22,314 people.
- Oxford , Alabama city in Calhoun and Talladega counties, Alabama, USA with a population of 21,216 people.
- Oxford , Massachusetts town in Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States of America with a population of 13,941 people.
- Oxford , Massachusetts town in Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States of America with a population of 13,709 people.
- Oxford , Connecticut town in New Haven County, Connecticut, United States of America with a population of 13,250 people.
- Oxford , North Carolina city in North Carolina, United States with a population of 8,905 people.
- Oxford , Pennsylvania borough of Pennsylvania with a population of 5,594 people.
- Oxford , Maine town in Oxford County, Maine, United States with a population of 4,102 people.
- Oxford , Michigan town in Michigan, United States with a population of 3,541 people.
- Oxford , New Jersey township in Warren County, New Jersey, United States with a population of 2,426 people.
- Oxford , Georgia city in Newton County, Georgia, United States with a population of 2,337 people.
- Oxford , New York town in Chenango County, New York, United States with a population of 1,369 people.
- Oxford , Indiana town in Oak Grove Township, Benton County, Indiana with a population of 1,145 people.
- Oxford , Kansas city in Sumner County, Kansas, United States with a population of 988 people.
- Oxford , Wisconsin village in Marquette County, Wisconsin, United States with a population of 905 people.
- Oxford , Iowa city in Johnson County, Iowa, United States of America with a population of 797 people.
- Oxford , Nebraska village in Furnas and Harlan Counties in Nebraska, United States of America with a population of 711 people.
- Oxford , Arkansas city in Izard County, Arkansas, United States of America with a population of 682 people.
- Oxford , Maryland town in Talbot County, Maryland, United States with a population of 602 people.
- Oxford , Idaho city in Franklin County, Idaho, United States of America with a population of 52 people.
Other cities in Amite County
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in Amite County , MS.
|Mount Olive||896||City in Covington County, Mississippi, United States of America|
|Gloster||852||City in Amite County, Mississippi, United States of America|
|Liberty||634||City in Mississippi, United States|
|Enterprise||454||Town in Clarke County, Mississippi, United States|
|Crosby||270||City in Mississippi, United States of America|
Distance to Other Cities
Oxford distances to largest Mississippi cities