Monroe Jasper County, Iowa
Monroe: City in Jasper County, Iowa, United States
Monroe is a city located in the county of Jasper in the U.S. state of Iowa. Its population at the 2010 census was 1,830 and a population density of 417 people per km². After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 1,905 inhabitants.
The city was created 171 years ago in 1850.
Monroe Quick Facts
|Population :||1,905 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Iowa (United States)|
|County :||Jasper County|
|Different from :||Monroe County|
|Postal code :||50170|
|Area :||4.39 km2|
|Altitude :||925 feet / 282 meters|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1851 (171 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||Central Time Zone|
|Local time :||23:27:42 (27th January 2022)|
|Density :||434 Pop. per km² as of 2020|
|Population growth :||3.94% (2010-2020)|
|Weather :||7℉ Partly Cloudy 7-days weather|
Monroe is located at 41°31'20"N 93°6'7"W (41.5222100, -93.1018700).
Monroe forecast: Partly cloudy, with a low around 7. more
The population of Monroe increased by 3.94% in 10 years.
|Estimated population as of July 1, 2019 :||28,158|
|Based on demographic estimates as of April 1, 2010 :||29,798|
|Based on demographic estimates as of 1 April 2010 :||-5.5%|
|April 1, 2020 Population :||27,549|
|April 1, 2010 Population :||29,849|
|People under 5 years old, percentage :||5.4%|
|People under 18 years old, percentage :||20.9%|
|People over 65 (%) :||16.6%|
|Female persons, % :||50.3%|
|White only, percent :||84.7%|
|Black or African American alone, percent :||10.6%|
|American Indian and Alaska Native only, % :||0.5%|
|Asians alone % :||0.6%|
|Only Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders, % :||0.0%|
|% of people who have participated in two or more races :||2.3%|
|% of Hispanic or Latino :||7.0%|
|White people, not Hispanic or Latino people, make up the majority of the population. :||80.2%|
|2015-2019 Veterans :||2,138|
|Percentage of foreign-born people, 2015-2019 :||3.1%|
|Rate of owner-occupied housing units, 2015-2019 :||64.4%|
|Rate of owner-occupied housing units, 2015-2019 :||64.4%|
|Owner-occupied housing unit median value, 2015-2019 :||$83,500|
|From 2015 to 2019, the median selected monthly owner costs - with a mortgage :||$965|
|Monthly owner costs, without a mortgage, at the median, 2015-2019 :||$438|
|2015-2019 median gross rent :||$728|
|2015-2019 Households :||12,292|
|Population per household, 2015-2019 :||2.31|
|Living in the same house a year ago, percentage of people aged one year and up, 2015-2019 :||87.5%|
|Languages other than English spoken at home, as a percentage of people aged 5 and up, 2015-2019 :||5.0%|
|Households with computers, %, 2015-2019 :||87.8%|
|Percentage of households with a broadband Internet subscription, 2015-2019 :||81.0%|
|Percentage of people aged 25 and up with a high school diploma or higher, 2015-2019 :||89.3%|
|Bachelor's degree or higher, proportion of people aged 25 and up, 2015-2019 :||12.5%|
|Percentage of people under the age of 65 who have a disability, 2015-2019 :||14.9%|
|Persons under the age of 65 who do not have health insurance, as a percentage :||8.1%|
|Total civilian labor force, percent of population aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||60.4%|
|Female labor force participation in the civilian labor force, as a percentage of the population aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||57.4%|
|Total sales of lodging and food services in 2012 ($1,000) :||46,045|
|Manufacturers' total shipments in 2012 ($1,000) :||2,895,186|
|2012 total retail sales ($1,000) :||376,370|
|2012 total retail sales per capita :||$12,739|
|Mean commute time to work (in minutes), workers aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||23.1|
|2015-2019 median household income (in 2019 dollars) :||$51,469|
|Income per capita in the previous 12 months (in 2019 dollars), 2015-2019 :||$26,645|
|Percentage of people living in poverty :||19.3%|
|Total number of businesses in 2012 :||1,489|
|Men-owned businesses in 2012 :||715|
|Women-owned businesses in 2012 :||533|
|Minority-owned businesses in 2012 :||208|
|Non-minority-owned businesses in 2012 :||1,152|
|Veteran-owned businesses in 2012 :||153|
|Nonveteran-owned businesses in 2012 :||1,118|
|2010 population per square mile :||1,547.5|
|2010 land area in square miles :||19.29|
People born in Monroe (1)
American basketball coach Bucky O'Connor was born in Monroe
Schools in Monroe
College & universities near Monroe, IA
|153108||Central College||Pella (IA)||50219|
Amtrak & bus stations near Monroe, IA
|OSC||Osceola||Main & East Clay Streets||RAIL|
|OTM||Ottumwa station||210 West Main Street||RAIL|
|CRN||Creston||Pine and Adams Avenue||RAIL|
Post offices near Monroe
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Monr Post Office||Monroe (IA)||50170|
Other places with the same name (19)
- Monroe , Louisiana parish seat of Ouachita Parish, Louisiana, United States with a population of 46,998 people.
- Monroe , New Jersey township in Gloucester County, New Jersey with a population of 44,884 people.
- Monroe , North Carolina city in and county seat of Union County, North Carolina, United States with a population of 35,668 people.
- Monroe , Washington city in Snohomish County, Washington, United States with a population of 20,681 people.
- Monroe , Connecticut town in Fairfield County, Connecticut, United States with a population of 19,328 people.
- Monroe , Ohio city in Ohio, United States with a population of 14,183 people.
- Monroe , Georgia city in and the county seat of Walton County, Georgia, United States of America with a population of 13,979 people.
- Monroe , New York town in New York, United States with a population of 9,351 people.
- Monroe , Utah city in Sevier County, Utah, United States with a population of 2,383 people.
- Monroe , Wisconsin city in and the county seat of Green County, Wisconsin, United States with a population of 1,236 people.
- Monroe , Maine town in Waldo County, Maine, United States with a population of 948 people.
- Monroe , Indiana civil town in Adams County, Wisconsin, United States with a population of 882 people.
- Monroe , New Hampshire town in New Hampshire, United States with a population of 807 people.
- Monroe , Oregon city in Oregon, USA with a population of 657 people.
- Monroe , Pennsylvania borough in Bradford County, Pennsylvania, United States with a population of 511 people.
- Monroe , Michigan city in and county seat of Monroe County, Michigan, United States with a population of 326 people.
- Monroe , Nebraska township in Platte County, Nebraska with a population of 273 people.
- Monroe , South Dakota town in South Dakota, United States of America with a population of 186 people.
Other cities in Jasper County
Cities, Towns, Neighborhoods & Other Populated Places in Jasper County , IA.
|Newton||15,127||City in and the county seat of Jasper County, Illinois, United States|
|Colfax||2,050||City in Jasper County, Iowa|
|Prairie City||1,718||City in Jasper County, Iowa|
|Baxter||1,132||Human settlement in Jasper County, Iowa, United States of America|
|Sully||826||City in Jasper County, Iowa, United States|
|Kellogg||585||City in Iowa, United States|
|Lynnville||393||City in Jasper County, Iowa, United States|
|Mingo||309||Human settlement in Jasper County, Iowa, United States of America|
|Lambs Grove||165||Human settlement in Jasper County, Iowa, United States of America|
|Oakland Acres||161||City in Jasper County, Iowa, United States|
|Reasnor||156||Human settlement in Jasper County, Iowa, United States of America|
|Valeria||58||Human settlement in Jasper County, Iowa, United States of America|
Distance to Other Cities
Monroe distances to largest Iowa cities