Erie: The second most populous city in Pennsylvania. It is located on the shore of Lake Erie in northwestern Pennsylvania. Erie is known for its many parks and green spaces, its many historical sites, and its many attractions, such as the Erie Maritime Museum and the Erie Art Museum.
Erie is a city located in the county of Erie in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. Its population at the 2010 census was 101,786 and a population density of 5,335 people per km². After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 95,077 inhabitants.
The city was created 228 years ago in 1795.
Erie is a city located in northwestern Pennsylvania along the shores of Lake Erie. The area was originally inhabited by the Eriez Native American tribe.
In 1795, the borough of Erie was laid out and settled as a frontier town. Its natural harbor made it well suited as a port and naval base.
Erie grew rapidly following construction of the Erie Canal in 1825, which connected the Great Lakes to the Hudson River and Atlantic Ocean. It emerged as a major shipping hub on the Great Lakes.
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Erie became an industrial powerhouse, home to steel mills, iron manufacturing, and other factories. Its population swelled.
Today, Erie has a population around 95,000 residents. It has diversified its economy through healthcare, insurance, plastics, tourism and other industries.
Popular attractions include the Erie Maritime Museum, Presque Isle State Park, the Erie Zoo, and museums like the Erie Art Museum.
Erie continues to revitalize its downtown while preserving its maritime roots. The city balances its rich history with emerging opportunities.
Erie grew from its frontier origins into a Great Lakes industrial titan. The Erie Canal sparked rapid growth as a port hub. Erie has weathered economic shifts while retaining its identity and spirit. It honors over 200 years of history while moving forward.
Quick Facts about Erie
|Population :||95,077 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Pennsylvania (United States)|
|County :||Erie County|
|Postal code :||16546, 16563, 16530–16534, 16565, 16514–16515, 16550, 16553–16554, 16541, 16501–16512, 16538, 16544, 16522|
|Phone Area Codes :||814|
|Area :||19.08 km2|
|Altitude :||732 feet / 223 meters|
|Capital city :||Erie is capital of Erie County|
|Establishment :||April 04, 1795 (228 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||UTC−05:00|
|Local time :||04:16:02 (11th December 2023)|
|Density :||4,983 Pop. per km² as of 2020|
|Population growth :||-7.06% (2010-2020)|
Erie is located at 42°7'45"N 80°5'6"W (42.1292200, -80.0850600).
- Official Website
Official website of Erie
According to census records, the population of Erie decreased by 7.06% in 10 years.
Best Things to Do in Erie
1 Presque Isle State Park
301 Peninsula Dr, Erie, PA 16505, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18148337424 🔗 Url
2 Waldameer & Water World
220 Peninsula Dr, Erie, PA 16505, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18148383591 🔗 Url
3 Presque Isle Downs & Casino
8199 Perry Hwy, Erie, PA 16509, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18663743386 🔗 Url
4 Splash Lagoon
8091 Peach St, Erie, PA 16509, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18663775274 🔗 Url
5 Erie Zoo
423 W 38th St, Erie, PA 16508, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18148644091 🔗 Url
Where to Stay in Erie
1 SpringHill Suites by Marriott Erie
2087 Interchange Rd, Erie, PA 16509, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18148645000 🔗 Url
People born in Erie (199)
- Harry Kellar (American magician) he was born in 11/07/1849
- Christine Estabrook (American actress) she was born in 13/09/1952
- Nikki Dial (American movie actress and voice actress) she was born in 05/10/1973
- Rebecca Bardoux (American movie actress) she was born in 18/08/1963
- Paul J. Weitz (American astronaut) he was born in 25/07/1932
- Chris Vrenna (American musician) he was born in 23/02/1967
- Richard Anuszkiewicz (American artist (1930-2020)) he was born in 23/05/1930
- Charles Erskine Scott Wood (American author) he was born in 20/02/1852
- John Riccitiello (American businessman) he was born in 01/01/1958
- Joseph D. Pistone (FBI agent) he was born in 17/09/1939
- Billy Blanks (American fitness guru) he was born in 01/09/1955
- Mark Stepnoski (All-American college football player, professional football player, offensive lineman) he was born in 20/01/1967
- Peter Mennin (American composer, administrator and teacher) he was born in 17/05/1923
- John Totleben (illustrator) he was born in 16/02/1958
- Mary Boone (American art professional) she was born in 29/10/1951
- Michael Liebel, Jr. (American politician (1870-1927)) he was born in 12/12/1870
- John Williams (American archer) he was born in 12/09/1953
- Nate Carr (Olympic wrestler) he was born in 24/06/1960
Schools in Erie
College & universities near Erie, PA
|212601||Gannon University||Erie (PA)||16541-0001|
|216427||Triangle Tech Inc-Erie||Erie (PA)||16502-2594|
|213987||Mercyhurst University||Erie (PA)||16546|
|407629||Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine||Erie (PA)||16509-1025|
|213181||Great Lakes Institute of Technology||Erie (PA)||16509-2482|
Amtrak & bus stations near Erie, PA
|ERI||Union Station||125 West 14th Street||RAIL|
|JMN||Jamestown, New York||111 West Third Street||BUS|
|FDN||Fredonia, New York||1 State University of New York||BUS|
|DUK||Dunkirk, New York||411 Central Ave.||BUS|
Post offices near Erie
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Downtown Er Post Office||Erie (PA)||16501|
|South Er Post Office||Erie (PA)||16508|
|Er Post Office||Erie (PA)||16515|
|Presque Isl Post Office||Erie (PA)||16506|
|Harborcreek Post Office||Harborcreek (PA)||16421|
Other places with the same name (8)
- Erie , Colorado town in Boulder County, Colorado, USA with a population of 30,318 people.
- Erie , Michigan township in Monroe County, Michigan with a population of 4,321 people.
- Erie , Minnesota human settlement in Pennington County, Minnesota, United States of America with a population of 1,761 people.
- Erie , Illinois village in Whiteside County, Illinois with a population of 1,482 people.
- Erie , Kansas city in Neosho County; Kansas, USA with a population of 1,081 people.
- Erie , Indiana unincorporated community in Lawrence County, Indiana with a population of 531 people.
- Erie , North Dakota unincorporated community in North Dakota with a population of 105 people.
Other cities in Erie County
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in Erie County , PA.
|Harborcreek||16,998||Township in Erie County, Pennsylvania|
|Corry||6,180||City of Pennsylvania|
|Edinboro||5,405||Borough in Pennsylvania, United States|
|North East||4,013||Borough of Pennsylvania|
|Lawrence Park||3,982||Human settlement in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, United States of America|
|Union City||3,097||Borough in Pennsylvania, United States|
|Wesleyville||3,093||Borough of Pennsylvania|
|Girard||2,897||Borough in Erie County, Pennsylvania|
|Albion||1,445||Borough in Erie County, Pennsylvania|
|Avonia||1,205||Census designated place|
|Cranesville||594||Borough of Pennsylvania|
|Platea||397||Borough of Pennsylvania|
|Mill Village||383||Borough of Pennsylvania|
|Wattsburg||381||Borough of Pennsylvania|
|Elgin||204||Borough of Pennsylvania|
Distance to Other Cities
Erie distances to largest Pennsylvania cities