City of Portsmouth, Virginia
City of Portsmouth: Administrative division in Virginia, United States
City of Portsmouth is a county located in the U.S. state of Virginia. After 8 years in 2018 county had an estimated population of 215,133 inhabitants.
Portsmouth is located in the Hampton Roads metropolitan area of Virginia along the Elizabeth River. It was established as a town in 1752 and is one of the state's oldest cities. Portsmouth grew quickly as a port and shipbuilding center in the late 18th century.
The Gosport Naval Shipyard opened in 1801 and the battle between the USS Merrimack and USS Monitor during the Civil War occurred off the coast of Portsmouth in 1862. This famous battle ushered in the age of modern ironclad warships.
Key Districts and Features
Some of the main areas of interest in Portsmouth include:
- Olde Towne - Charming historic district with brick townhomes, shops, cafes, and European-style Market Square.
- Downtown - Home to City Hall, the Commodore Theatre, museums, and the popular waterfront Seawall area.
- Churchland - A more suburban section of the city known for quality schools and parks.
- Craney Island - A military fueling depot and important wildlife habitat on the outskirts of the city.
Things to Do in Portsmouth
Top attractions and activities in Portsmouth include:
- Exploring centuries of naval history at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Museum.
- Taking a ride on the Portsmouth River Cruise for views of the harbor and shipyards.
- Strolling through the lovely gardens at the Norfolk Botanical Garden.
- Catching a show at the intimate Commodore Theatre, Virginia's longest running movie theater.
- Trying craft beer and touring the brewery at Legend Brewing Co, Virginia's oldest microbrewery.
With a prime coastal location, charming neighborhoods, and ties to early American history, Portsmouth offers visitors a unique glimpse into Virginia's past and present. It continues to grow and reinvent itself as a 21st century urban hub.
Quick Facts about City of Portsmouth
|Population :||215,133 (2018)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Virginia (United States)|
|Time Zone :||America/New_York|
|Local time :||03:57:41 (11th December 2023)|
City of Portsmouth is located at 36°50'11"N 76°18'29"W (36.8364900, -76.3079500).
City of Portsmouth map
City of Portsmouth Populated Places
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in City of Portsmouth.
|Portsmouth Heights||99,049||A census-designated place in Newport News, Virginia.|
|Portsmouth||95,094||The most populous city in Portsmouth, Virginia.|
Virginia Other Counties (more counties)
|Fairfax County||1,150,847||County in Virginia, United States|
|Prince William County||475,533||County in Virginia, United States|
|Virginia Beach||451,231||The most populous city in Virginia, Virginia Beach is a major center for tourism, military, and business.|
|Loudoun County||422,784||County in Virginia, United States|
|Chesterfield County||358,245||County in South Carolina, United States|
|Henrico County||333,766||County in Virginia, United States|
|Chesapeake||247,011||The second most populous city in Virginia.|
|Norfolk||242,803||The most populous city in Virginia.|
|Arlington County||240,119||County in Virginia, United States; suburb of Washington, D.|
|Richmond||232,226||The capital of Virginia.|
|Arlington||229,164||A county in Virginia.|
|Newport News||179,062||The second most populous city in Virginia.|
|Alexandria||158,726||A city in Virginia.|
|Stafford County||156,748||County in Virginia, United States|
|East Hampton||147,993||Town in New York|
|Spotsylvania County||138,449||County in Virginia, United States|