Champaign County, Ohio
Champaign County: County in Ohio, United States
Champaign County is a county located in the U.S. state of Ohio. As of the 2010 census, the population was 40,097 and a population density of 36 people per km². After 10 years in 2020 county had an estimated population of 38,960 inhabitants. Its county seat is Urbana. The county was created 218 years ago in 1805.
Champaign County lies in western Ohio between Columbus and Dayton. Formed in 1805, it was named for the French province Champagne, likely because of the terrain’s resemblance to rolling hills.
The county was first settled by migrants from Virginia and Kentucky. Agriculture and manufacturing drove growth in cities like **Urbana**, the county seat.
### Major Cities and Features
Notable cities and features of Champaign County include:
- **Urbana** - Historic county seat and site of the Champaign County Fairgrounds.
- **Mechanicsburg** - Village settled in 1834 with well-preserved architecture and charm.
- **Cedar Bog Nature Preserve** - Natural wetland area with rare plants and wildlife.
- **Ohio Caverns** - Popular underground caverns offering tours since 1897.
### Things to See and Do
Top attractions and activities in Champaign County include:
- Exploring underground rock formations and stalactites at **Ohio Caverns**.
- Hiking trails and viewing rare orchids at the unique **Cedar Bog Nature Preserve**.
- Learning history and touring buildings in charming downtown **Urbana**.
- Sampling local wines at the **Dragonfly Vineyard & Wine Cellar** in Mechanicsburg.
- Attending annual events like the **Champaign County Fair** and **Country Concert**.
Champaign County offers scenic rural charm, natural beauty, and historic small town appeal perfect for a relaxing Ohio getaway.
Quick Facts about Champaign County
|Population :||38,960 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Ohio (United States)|
|Different from :||Champaign County|
|Plate code :||11|
|Area :||1113 km2|
|Official name :||Champaign County|
|Water as percent of area :||0.3%|
|Land as percent of area :||99.7%|
|Establishment :||March 03, 1805|
|Time Zone :||America/New_York|
|Local time :||08:27:13 (1st October 2023)|
|Density :||35 Pop. per km² as of 2020|
|Population growth :||-2.92% (2010-2020)|
|Weather :||79℉ Sunny 7-days weather|
Champaign County map
Champaign County Populated Places
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in Champaign County.
|Urbana||11,415||Township in Champaign County, Illinois|
|Saint Paris||2,011||Village in Champaign County, Ohio, United States|
|North Lewisburg||1,471||City in Champaign County, Ohio, United States of America|
|Christiansburg||503||Village in Champaign County, Ohio, United States|
|Woodstock||288||Village in Champaign County, Ohio, United States|
|Mutual||102||Human settlement in Champaign County, Ohio, United States of America|
Champaign County forecast: Sunny, with a high near 79. Northeast wind 3 to 7 mph. more
- Official Website
Official website of Champaign County
According to census records, the population of Champaign County decreased by 2.92% in 10 years.
People born in Champaign County (10)
- John S. Jones (Union Army officer) he was born in 12/02/1836
- Joseph P. Fyffe (United States admiral) he was born in 26/07/1832
- Samuel McIntire Taylor (American politician) he was born in 24/07/1856
- Wilbur Snapp (American organist) he was born in 05/08/1920
- Oliver Colwell (Medal of Honor recipient) he was born in 01/01/1834
- Nathaniel C. Reed (Ohio Jurist) he was born in 01/01/1810
- Lawrence Borst (American veterinarian and politician) he was born in 16/07/1927
Other places with the same name (2)
- Champaign County , Illinois county in Illinois, United States with a population of 209,192 people.
Ohio Other Counties (more counties)
|Franklin County||1,324,624||County in Massachusetts, United States|
|Cuyahoga County||1,227,883||County in Ohio, United States|
|Columbus||884,356||The fifteenth most populous city in the United States and the center of the Columbus metropolitan area.|
|Hamilton County||817,985||County in New York, United States|
|Summit County||538,866||County in northern Utah, United States|
|Montgomery County||531,610||County in Ohio, United States|
|Lucas County||428,294||County in Ohio, United States|
|Butler County||385,648||County in Ohio, United States of America|
|Cleveland||378,589||The second most populous city in Ohio and the center of the Cleveland metropolitan area.|
|Stark County||369,772||County in Ohio, United States|
|Lorain County||312,172||County in Ohio, United States|
|Cincinnati||304,548||The third most populous city in Ohio and the center of the Cincinnati metropolitan area.|
|Toledo||271,455||The fourth most populous city in Ohio and the center of the Toledo metropolitan area.|
|Warren County||238,412||County in New York, United States|
|Lake County||229,569||County in Ohio, United States|
|Mahoning County||226,075||County in Ohio, United States|