Carthage Smith County, Tennessee
Carthage: Town in Tennessee, USA
Carthage is a town located in the county of Smith in the U.S. state of Tennessee. Its population at the 2010 census was 2,306 and a population density of 311 people per km². After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 2,331 inhabitants.
The town was created 233 years ago in 1788.
Carthage Quick Facts
|Population :||2,331 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Tennessee (United States)|
|County :||Smith County|
|Postal code :||37030|
|Phone Area Codes :||615|
|Area :||7.41 km2|
|Altitude :||515 feet / 157 meters|
|Capital city :||Carthage is capital of Smith County|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1789 (233 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||America/Chicago|
|Local time :||00:48:56 (29th September 2022)|
|Density :||315 Pop. per km² as of 2020|
|Population growth :||1.07% (2010-2020)|
Carthage is located at 36°15'8"N 85°57'6"W (36.2522800, -85.9516500).
The population of Carthage increased by 1.07% in 10 years.
|Estimated population as of July 1, 2019 :||9,594|
|Based on demographic estimates as of April 1, 2010 :||8,942|
|Based on demographic estimates as of 1 April 2010 :||7.3%|
|April 1, 2020 Population :||9,533|
|April 1, 2010 Population :||8,901|
|People under 5 years old, percentage :||6.7%|
|People under 18 years old, percentage :||20.6%|
|People over 65 (%) :||17.3%|
|Female persons, % :||48.1%|
|White only, percent :||76.9%|
|Black or African American alone, percent :||11.9%|
|American Indian and Alaska Native only, % :||0.5%|
|Asians alone % :||3.8%|
|Only Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders, % :||0.0%|
|% of people who have participated in two or more races :||4.6%|
|% of Hispanic or Latino :||9.1%|
|White people, not Hispanic or Latino people, make up the majority of the population. :||73.9%|
|2015-2019 Veterans :||764|
|Percentage of foreign-born people, 2015-2019 :||4.7%|
|Rate of owner-occupied housing units, 2015-2019 :||50.1%|
|Rate of owner-occupied housing units, 2015-2019 :||50.1%|
|Owner-occupied housing unit median value, 2015-2019 :||$119,700|
|From 2015 to 2019, the median selected monthly owner costs - with a mortgage :||$1,219|
|Monthly owner costs, without a mortgage, at the median, 2015-2019 :||$515|
|2015-2019 median gross rent :||$941|
|2015-2019 Households :||4,008|
|Population per household, 2015-2019 :||2.28|
|Living in the same house a year ago, percentage of people aged one year and up, 2015-2019 :||75.6%|
|Languages other than English spoken at home, as a percentage of people aged 5 and up, 2015-2019 :||8.6%|
|Households with computers, %, 2015-2019 :||86.5%|
|Percentage of households with a broadband Internet subscription, 2015-2019 :||78.2%|
|Percentage of people aged 25 and up with a high school diploma or higher, 2015-2019 :||87.5%|
|Bachelor's degree or higher, proportion of people aged 25 and up, 2015-2019 :||20.7%|
|Percentage of people under the age of 65 who have a disability, 2015-2019 :||11.3%|
|Persons under the age of 65 who do not have health insurance, as a percentage :||7.2%|
|Total civilian labor force, percent of population aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||62.7%|
|Female labor force participation in the civilian labor force, as a percentage of the population aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||58.0%|
|Total sales of lodging and food services in 2012 ($1,000) :||14,086|
|2012 total retail sales ($1,000) :||99,145|
|2012 total retail sales per capita :||$11,169|
|Mean commute time to work (in minutes), workers aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||20.1|
|2015-2019 median household income (in 2019 dollars) :||$51,759|
|Income per capita in the previous 12 months (in 2019 dollars), 2015-2019 :||$27,708|
|Percentage of people living in poverty :||15.9%|
|Total number of businesses in 2012 :||604|
|Men-owned businesses in 2012 :||420|
|Women-owned businesses in 2012 :||98|
|Minority-owned businesses in 2012 :||102|
|Non-minority-owned businesses in 2012 :||429|
|Veteran-owned businesses in 2012 :||46|
|Nonveteran-owned businesses in 2012 :||486|
|2010 population per square mile :||4,366.0|
|2010 land area in square miles :||2.04|
People born in Carthage (9)
- Glenn S. Anderson (Michigan politician) he was born in 08/02/1954
- James Comer (Kentucky politician) he was born in 19/08/1972
- William Brown Cooper (American painter) he was born in 01/01/1811
- John William Petty (American airman during WWII) he was born in 22/03/1918
- Daisy Oliver Aust (American suffragist) she was born in 01/01/1875
- Keith Habersberger (member of the Try Guys) he was born in 18/06/1987
Schools in Carthage
College & universities near Carthage, TN
|220279||Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Hartsville||Hartsville (TN)||37074-2028|
Amtrak & bus stations near Carthage, TN
|NVL||Nashville, TN||705 5th Avenue South||BUS|
Post offices near Carthage
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Carthag Post Office||Carthage (TN)||37030|
Other places with the same name (12)
- Carthage , Missouri city in Missouri with a population of 14,732 people.
- Carthage , Texas city in Texas with a population of 6,354 people.
- Carthage , Mississippi human settlement in Leake County, Mississippi, United States of America with a population of 4,725 people.
- Carthage , New York village in the United States with a population of 3,256 people.
- Carthage , North Carolina city in Moore County, North Carolina, United States of America with a population of 2,595 people.
- Carthage , Illinois city in and county seat of Hancock County, Illinois, United States with a population of 2,419 people.
- Carthage , Ohio township in Athens County, Ohio with a population of 1,537 people.
- Carthage , Indiana town in Indiana, United States with a population of 890 people.
- Carthage , Maine town in Maine, United States with a population of 536 people.
- Carthage , Arkansas city in Arkansas, USA with a population of 286 people.
- Carthage , South Dakota city in South Dakota, United States with a population of 37 people.
Other cities in Smith County
Cities, Towns, Neighborhoods & Other Populated Places in Smith County , TN.
|South Carthage||1,406||Town in Smith County, Tennessee, United States|
|Gordonsville||1,245||Town in Smith County, Tennessee, United States|
Distance to Other Cities
Carthage distances to largest Tennessee cities