Camden Kershaw County, South Carolina
Camden: City in South Carolina
Camden is a city located in the county of Kershaw in the U.S. state of South Carolina. Its population at the 2010 census was 6,838. After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 7,288 inhabitants.
The city was created 236 years ago in 1785.
Camden Quick Facts
|Population :||7,288 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||South Carolina (United States)|
|County :||Kershaw County|
|Phone Area Codes :||803|
|Water as percent of area :||6.62%|
|Land as percent of area :||93.38%|
|Altitude :||187 feet / 57 meters|
|Capital city :||Camden is capital of Kershaw County|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1786 (236 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||Eastern Time Zone|
|Local time :||06:26:45 (3rd October 2022)|
|Postal code :||29020|
|Population growth :||6.17% (2010-2020)|
Camden is located at 34°14'48"N 80°36'25"W (34.2465400, -80.6070200).
- Official Website
Official website of Camden
The population of Camden increased by 6.17% in 10 years.
|Estimated population as of July 1, 2019 :||14,073|
|Based on demographic estimates as of April 1, 2010 :||13,488|
|Based on demographic estimates as of 1 April 2010 :||4.3%|
|April 1, 2020 Population :||13,904|
|April 1, 2010 Population :||13,488|
|People under 5 years old, percentage :||5.7%|
|People under 18 years old, percentage :||23.0%|
|People over 65 (%) :||20.2%|
|Female persons, % :||49.7%|
|White only, percent :||76.3%|
|Black or African American alone, percent :||1.7%|
|American Indian and Alaska Native only, % :||14.0%|
|Asians alone % :||0.6%|
|Only Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders, % :||0.1%|
|% of people who have participated in two or more races :||7.3%|
|% of Hispanic or Latino :||7.0%|
|White people, not Hispanic or Latino people, make up the majority of the population. :||70.8%|
|2015-2019 Veterans :||1,176|
|Percentage of foreign-born people, 2015-2019 :||2.7%|
|Residential units, July 1, 2019 :||6,884|
|Residential units, July 1, 2019 :||6,884|
|Rate of owner-occupied housing units, 2015-2019 :||70.2%|
|Owner-occupied housing unit median value, 2015-2019 :||$127,000|
|From 2015 to 2019, the median selected monthly owner costs - with a mortgage :||$959|
|Monthly owner costs, without a mortgage, at the median, 2015-2019 :||$388|
|2015-2019 median gross rent :||$698|
|Permits for construction, 2020 :||10|
|2015-2019 Households :||5,238|
|Population per household, 2015-2019 :||2.59|
|Living in the same house a year ago, percentage of people aged one year and up, 2015-2019 :||87.5%|
|Languages other than English spoken at home, as a percentage of people aged 5 and up, 2015-2019 :||4.2%|
|Households with computers, %, 2015-2019 :||88.4%|
|Percentage of households with a broadband Internet subscription, 2015-2019 :||65.5%|
|Percentage of people aged 25 and up with a high school diploma or higher, 2015-2019 :||84.2%|
|Bachelor's degree or higher, proportion of people aged 25 and up, 2015-2019 :||17.4%|
|Percentage of people under the age of 65 who have a disability, 2015-2019 :||18.3%|
|Persons under the age of 65 who do not have health insurance, as a percentage :||17.6%|
|Total civilian labor force, percent of population aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||55.0%|
|Female labor force participation in the civilian labor force, as a percentage of the population aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||46.5%|
|Total sales of lodging and food services in 2012 ($1,000) :||17,632|
|Total receipts/revenue for health care and social assistance in 2012 ($1,000) :||42,304|
|2012 total retail sales ($1,000) :||196,919|
|2012 total retail sales per capita :||$14,413|
|Mean commute time to work (in minutes), workers aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||21.1|
|2015-2019 median household income (in 2019 dollars) :||$52,478|
|Income per capita in the previous 12 months (in 2019 dollars), 2015-2019 :||$26,943|
|Percentage of people living in poverty :||14.9%|
|Total number of employer establishments, 2019 :||277|
|2019 total employment :||3,692|
|2019 total annual payroll ($1,000) :||141,199|
|Total employment, change in percentage terms, 2018-2019 :||-4.4%|
|2018 total non-employer establishments :||933|
|Total number of businesses in 2012 :||1,240|
|Men-owned businesses in 2012 :||633|
|Women-owned businesses in 2012 :||358|
|Minority-owned businesses in 2012 :||169|
|Non-minority-owned businesses in 2012 :||996|
|Veteran-owned businesses in 2012 :||198|
|Nonveteran-owned businesses in 2012 :||994|
|2010 population per square mile :||32.4|
|2010 land area in square miles :||416.46|
People born in Camden (54)
- Laura Kraut (equestrian) she was born in 14/11/1965
- Larry Doby (American baseball player) he was born in 13/12/1923
- John C. West (South Carolina politician (1922-2004)) he was born in 27/08/1922
- Samuel E. Wright (American actor) he was born in 20/11/1946
- Bobby Engram (American football player) he was born in 07/01/1973
- Lane Kirkland (American labor leader (1922-1999)) he was born in 12/03/1922
- John Kershaw (American politician (1765-1829)) he was born in 12/09/1765
- James Chesnut Jr. (American politician (1815-1885)) he was born in 18/01/1815
- John Carter (U.S. Representative from South Carolina (1792-1850)) he was born in 10/09/1792
- Josiah Abigail Patterson Campbell (American politician (1830-1917)) he was born in 02/03/1830
- Sam Savage (American writer) he was born in 09/11/1940
- William McWillie (American politician) he was born in 17/11/1795
- Tyronne Drakeford (American football player) he was born in 21/06/1971
- Maurice Fountain (American football defensive lineman) he was born in 22/09/1982
- Michael Kohn (American baseball player) he was born in 26/06/1986
- O'Brien Schofield (American football linebacker/defensive end) he was born in 03/04/1987
- Vincent Sheheen (American attorney and politician) he was born in 29/04/1971
- Benjamin Patterson DeLoache (American baritone singer) he was born in 11/09/1905
Schools in Camden
College & universities near Camden, SC
|444228||LeGrand Institute of Cosmetology Inc||Camden (SC)||29020|
Amtrak & bus stations near Camden, SC
|CAM||Camden||1060 West Dekalb Street||RAIL|
|CLB||Columbia||850 Pulaski Street||RAIL|
|FLO||Florence||805 East Day Street||RAIL|
|KTR||Kingstree||101 East Main St.||RAIL|
|HAM||Hamlet||West Main St. and North Bridges St.||RAIL|
Post offices near Camden
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Camden Post Office||Camden (SC)||29020|
Other places with the same name (14)
- Camden , New Jersey city in Camden County, New Jersey, United States with a population of 73,740 people.
- Camden , Arkansas county seat of Ouachita County, Arkansas, United States with a population of 10,638 people.
- Camden , Maine town in Maine, United States with a population of 4,806 people.
- Camden , Delaware town in Delaware, United States with a population of 3,640 people.
- Camden , Tennessee city in Tennessee, United States with a population of 3,620 people.
- Camden , New York town in Oneida County, New York with a population of 2,675 people.
- Camden , Ohio village in Ohio, United States with a population of 1,974 people.
- Camden , Alabama City in Wilcox County, Alabama, United States with a population of 1,694 people.
- Camden , Indiana town in Indiana, United States with a population of 619 people.
- Camden , North Carolina city in and county seat of Camden County, New Jersey, United States with a population of 599 people.
- Camden , Michigan village in Michigan, United States with a population of 501 people.
- Camden , Missouri city in Missouri, United States with a population of 173 people.
- Camden , Illinois village in Illinois, United States with a population of 76 people.
Other cities in Kershaw County
Cities, Towns, Neighborhoods & Other Populated Places in Kershaw County , SC.
|Lugoff||7,434||Census-designated place in Kershaw County, South Carolina|
|Elgin||1,585||Human settlement in Kershaw County, South Carolina, United States of America|
|Bethune||354||Human settlement in Kershaw County, South Carolina, United States of America|
Distance to Other Cities
Camden distances to largest South Carolina cities