Augusta: The third most populous city in Georgia. It is located on the Savannah River in eastern Georgia. Augusta is known for its many golf courses, its many parks and green spaces, and its many attractions, such as the Augusta National Golf Club and the Augusta Museum of History.
Augusta is a city located in the county of Richmond in the U.S. state of Georgia. After 7 years in 2017 city had an estimated population of 197,166 inhabitants.
The city was created 287 years ago in 1735.
Founded in 1735 as a trading post, Augusta holds claim to a rich history and scenic location along the Savannah River. Best known as the home of the Masters Golf Tournament, Augusta offers many cultural attractions beyond its famed fairways.
The Masters Tournament
Each April the eyes of the golf world turn to the Augusta National Golf Club, home of the prestigious Masters Tournament. The perfectly manicured grounds and rolling greens are recognizable even to non-golf fans.
Patrons flock to Augusta to watch the world's best players compete for the famous green jacket. It's one of the most coveted prizes in professional golf. Outside of tournament days, visitors can play at three 18-hole public golf courses in Augusta.
The Augusta Canal stretches along the Savannah River, offering many sightseeing opportunities. Visitors can rent a boat, kayak or paddle board for water recreation. The Augusta Riverwalk borders the canal with pedestrian walking paths, outdoor art installations, and venue spaces.
For panoramic views, explore the Augusta Canal Discovery Center or walk across the pedestrian bridge overlooking the picturesque setting.
Arts and History
The Augusta Museum of History brings local heritage to life through exhibits and historic structures like the 1797 Ware's Folly mansion. The Morris Museum of Art impresses visitors with its collection of American paintings, prints, and sculptures.
Top talent graces the stage at the Miller Theater, while the Imperial Theatre hosts Broadway productions in a 1920s historic theater. The Sacred Heart Cultural Center promotes artistic opportunities for Augusta's underserved populations.
Augusta surprises visitors with far more depth than just golf - it's the whole package for art, culture, sightseeing and recreation.
Quick Facts about Augusta
|Population :||197,166 (2017)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Georgia (United States)|
|County :||Richmond County|
|Area :||794.24 km2|
|Named for :||Princess Augusta of Saxe-Gotha|
|Altitude :||148 feet / 45 meters|
|Capital city :||Augusta is capital of Richmond County|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1736 (287 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||UTC−05:00|
|Local time :||02:48:05 (7th December 2023)|
|Postal code :||30901|
|Density :||248 Pop. per km² as of 2017|
|Weather :||58℉ Sunny 7-days weather|
Best Things to Do in Augusta
1 Augusta Riverwalk
10th St, Augusta, GA 30901, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17068211754 🔗 Url
2 DEFY Augusta
1249 Augusta W Pkwy, Augusta, GA 30909, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17065100010 🔗 Url
3 Augusta National Golf Club
2604 Washington Rd, Augusta, GA 30904, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17066676000 🔗 Url
4 Pendleton King Park
1600 Troupe St, Augusta, GA 30904, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17065647462 🔗 Url
5 Phinizy Swamp Nature Park
1858 Lock and Dam Rd, Augusta, GA 30906, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17068282109 🔗 Url
Where ot Eat in Augusta
1 Golden Corral Buffet & Grill
231 Bobby Jones Expy, Augusta, GA 30907, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17064473718 🔗 Url
2 Stars and Strikes Family Entertainment Center
3238 Wrightsboro Rd, Augusta, GA 30909, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +16789655707 🔗 Url
3 Twin Peaks
277 Robert C Daniel Jr Pkwy, Augusta, GA 30909, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17064264934 🔗 Url
4 Steak 'n Shake
4329 Belair Frontage Rd, Augusta, GA 30909, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17064326835 🔗 Url
5 Applebee's Grill + Bar
2125 Windsor Spring Rd, Augusta, GA 30906, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17067960717 🔗 Url
Where to Stay in Augusta
1 Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center
2 10th St, Augusta, GA 30901, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17067228900 🔗 Url
2 Baymont by Wyndham Augusta West
629 NW Frontage Rd, Augusta, GA 30907, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17064269222 🔗 Url
3 Hilton Garden Inn Augusta
1065 Stevens Creek Rd, Augusta, GA 30907, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17067399990 🔗 Url
4 Holiday Inn Express Augusta Downtown, an IHG Hotel
444 Broad St, Augusta, GA 30901, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17069221414 🔗 Url
5 Residence Inn by Marriott Augusta
1116 Marks Church Rd, Augusta, GA 30909, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17062881900 🔗 Url
Other Places in Augusta
1 James H Drew Exposition
3531 Walton Way Ext, Augusta, GA 30909, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17067370650 🔗 Url
2 Augusta City Hall
535 Telfair St, Augusta, GA 30901 ➦ Show Map
☎ +17068212300 🔗 Url
3 Richmond County Board of Education
2530 Wheeless Rd, Augusta, GA 30906, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +17067964986 🔗 Url
People born in Augusta (200)
People born in Augusta, including artist Jasper Johns, Governor of the Utah territory Alfred Cumming, Award-winning film, theatre, and television actor, film director, film producer, and playwright Laurence Fishburne, .
- Kathryn McCormick (American contemporary dancer and actress) she was born in 06/08/1990
- Ben Bernanke (American economist) he was born in 13/12/1953
- Danielle Panabaker (American actress) she was born in 19/09/1987
- Jessye Norman (American opera singer) she was born in 15/09/1945
- Beau Jack (American boxer) he was born in 01/04/1921
- Harvey Grant (American basketball player) he was born in 04/07/1965
- Horace Grant (American basketball player) he was born in 04/07/1965
- Faith Prince (American actress) she was born in 06/08/1957
- Sharon Jones (American soul funk singer from NYC) she was born in 04/05/1956
- Amy Grant (American musician) she was born in 25/11/1960
- James Carpenter (American footballer) he was born in 22/03/1989
- David M. Potter (American historian) he was born in 06/12/1910
- Josh Kelley (American musician) he was born in 30/01/1980
- Antonio Grant (American basketball player) he was born in 02/02/1976
- Garret Siler (American basketball player) he was born in 25/10/1986
- Chuck Evans (American football player (1967-2008)) he was born in 19/12/1956
- Archibald Butt (Military aide to Theodore Roosevelt and William Howard Taft) he was born in 26/09/1865
- William Avery (American basketball player) he was born in 08/08/1979
Schools in Augusta
College & universities near Augusta, GA
|482149||Augusta University||Augusta (GA)||30912|
|140720||Paine College||Augusta (GA)||30901-3182|
|218159||Kenneth Shuler School of Cosmetology-North Augusta||North Augusta (SC)||29841|
|138956||Augusta Technical College||Augusta (GA)||30906|
|481678||Empire Beauty School-Augusta||Augusta (GA)||30907-4122|
Amtrak & bus stations near Augusta, GA
|DNK||Denmark||200 West Baruch Street||RAIL|
|CLB||Columbia||850 Pulaski Street||RAIL|
Post offices near Augusta
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Augusta Post Office||Augusta (GA)||30901|
|Hill Station Post Office||Augusta (GA)||30904|
|North Augusta Post Office||North Augusta (SC)||29841|
|Peach Orchard Post Office||Augusta (GA)||30906|
|Clearwater Post Office||Clearwater (SC)||29822|
Other places with the same name (12)
- Augusta , Maine county seat in Kennebec County, Maine, USA and Maine federated state capital city with a population of 18,747 people.
- Augusta , New York town of the United States with a population of 2,029 people.
- Augusta , Arkansas town in Arkansas with a population of 1,929 people.
- Augusta , Wisconsin city in Eau Claire County, Wisconsin with a population of 1,517 people.
- Augusta , Ohio Augusta is a city in Carroll County, Ohio with a population of 1,507 people.
- Augusta , Kansas City in Butler County, Kansas, United States with a population of 1,216 people.
- Augusta , Kentucky city in Kentucky, United States with a population of 1,142 people.
- Augusta , Michigan village in Michigan with a population of 896 people.
- Augusta , Illinois human settlement in Hancock County, Illinois, United States of America with a population of 534 people.
- Augusta , Missouri city in St. Charles County, Missouri, United States with a population of 267 people.
- Augusta , Minnesota human settlement in United States of America with a population of 102 people.
Other cities in Richmond County
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in Richmond County , GA.
|Hephzibah||3,936||City in Richmond County, Georgia, United States of America|
|Blythe||675||City in Burke and Richmond counties, Georgia, United States|
Distance to Other Cities
Augusta distances to largest Georgia cities