Merced: The most populous city in Merced County, California. It is located on the Merced River in the San Joaquin Valley in central California. Merced is known for its many parks and green spaces, its many historical sites, and its many attractions, such as the Merced County Courthouse and the Merced Museum.
Merced is a city located in the county of Merced in the U.S. state of California. Its population at the 2010 census was 78,958. After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 88,235 inhabitants.
The city was created 134 years ago in 1888.
Merced is located in California’s Central Valley, north of Fresno. It was founded in 1872 and named after the Merced River that runs through it. Merced became a major agricultural hub and railway town in the late 1800s.
Key Facts About Merced
Population: Approximately 83,000 as of 2019
Economy: Major employers in Merced include the University of California Merced, Mercy Medical Center, and the Merced City School District. Agriculture and food processing are also important.
Geography: Merced sits along the San Joaquin River in the fertile San Joaquin Valley. It covers over 23 square miles in area. Summers are hot and dry.
Things to Do in Merced:
Some top attractions and activities in Merced include:
- UC Merced Campus - New research university with a scenic campus featuring nature trails and gardens.
- Merced National Wildlife Refuge - Wetlands home to diverse wildlife including migratory birds and bald eagles.
- Applegate Park Zoo - Small zoo housing rescued native wildlife like black bears, mountain lions, and bobcats.
- Castle Air Museum - Displays vintage aircrafts and artifacts from the former Castle Air Force Base.
- Lake Yosemite Regional Park - Offers fishing, swimming, hiking, and water recreation on a large reservoir.
In summary, Merced is a Central Valley community focused on agriculture, nature areas, and the UC Merced campus.
Quick Facts about Merced
|Population :||88,235 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||California (United States)|
|County :||Merced County|
|Different from :||Merced River|
|Postal code :||95340–95344, 95348|
|Phone Area Codes :||209|
|Water as percent of area :||0%|
|Land as percent of area :||100%|
|Altitude :||171 feet / 52 meters|
|Capital city :||Merced is capital of Merced County|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1889 (134 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||America/Los_Angeles|
|Local time :||22:48:36 (6th December 2023)|
|Population growth :||10.51% (2010-2020)|
|Weather :||43℉ Patchy Fog 7-days weather|
The population of Merced increased by 10.51% in 10 years.
People born in Merced (62)
- Philip H. Lathrop (American cinematographer) he was born in 22/10/1912
- Diana Serra Cary (American actress, author, publisher, historian (1918-2020)) she was born in 29/10/1918
- Steven Stayner (American child kidnapping victim) he was born in 18/04/1965
- Dennis Cardoza (American politician) he was born in 31/03/1959
- Cary Stayner (American serial killer) he was born in 13/08/1961
- Tom Cable (American football player and coach) he was born in 26/11/1964
- Brian Fuentes (American baseball player) he was born in 09/08/1975
- Cory Williams (Internet personality) he was born in 05/08/1981
- Jackie Kong (film director) she was born in 14/06/1954
- Adam Gray (American politician) he was born in 01/01/2000
- Doug Fister (American professional baseball player) he was born in 04/02/1984
- Dusty Ryan (American baseball player) he was born in 02/09/1984
- John Thomas Howell (American botanist (1903-1994)) he was born in 06/11/1903
- Marvin Eastman (Kickboxer and mixed martial artist) he was born in 28/06/1969
- Summer Bartholomew (American actress) she was born in 20/11/1951
- Dave Fergerson (American basketball player) he was born in 10/03/1978
- Gerald Madkins (American basketball player-coach) he was born in 18/04/1969
- Margaret Dingeldein (American water polo player and coach) she was born in 30/05/1980
Schools in Merced
College & universities near Merced, CA
|123350||Sierra College of Beauty||Merced (CA)||95340|
|482060||Milan Institute-Merced||Merced (CA)||95340-2626|
|118718||Merced College||Merced (CA)||95348-2898|
|445188||University of California-Merced||Merced (CA)||95343-5603|
|262369||Adrian's College of Beauty Turlock||Turlock (CA)||95380|
Amtrak & bus stations near Merced, CA
|MCD||Merced station||324 West 24th St||RAIL|
|TRK||Denair station||3800 Santa Fe Avenue||RAIL|
|MRM||Mariposa, CA||Highway 140 and 7th Street||BUS|
|MRP||Mariposa, California||5158 State Highway 140||BUS|
|MDR||Madera||Avenue 15 1/2 at 29th Road||RAIL|
Other cities in Merced County
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in Merced County , CA.
|Los Banos||40,571||The county seat of Merced County, California.|
|Atwater||30,296||City in California|
|Livingston||14,926||City in California|
|Winton||10,613||City in St.|
|Gustine||5,709||City in Merced County, California, United States of America|
|Dos Palos||5,269||City in Merced County, California, United States|
|Planada||4,584||Census-designated place in California|
|Le Grand||1,659||City in Merced County, California, United States|
|South Dos Palos||1,620||Census-designated place in Merced County, California|
Distance to Other Cities
Merced distances to largest California cities