Marshall County, Iowa
Marshall County: County in Iowa, United States
Marshall County is a county located in the U.S. state of Iowa. As of the 2010 census, the population was 40,648 and a population density of 27 people per km². After 10 years in 2020 county had an estimated population of 39,495 inhabitants. Its county seat is Marshalltown. The county was created 177 years ago in 1845.
Marshall County is located right in the heart of Iowa, with the Iowa River flowing through its center. The county was established in 1846 and has a long agricultural heritage. Key crops include corn, soybeans, and hogs.
The historic county seat town of Marshalltown was founded in 1853 and is the county's largest city. The Lennox Furnace Company spurred more growth there in the late 1800s.
Major Cities and Features
Some main cities and landmarks in Marshall County include:
- Marshalltown - Historic county seat with a charming downtown district, museums, and diverse industries.
- State Center - Smaller town located along the Iowa River known for its sweet corn festival.
- Iowa River - Flowing directly through Marshalltown, it provides recreation and natural beauty.
- Marshall County Courthouse - Striking century-old courthouse building downtown.
Things to See and Do
Top attractions and activities in Marshall County include:
- Learning about agricultural history at the Farm Museum in rural Gilman.
- Hiking, boating, or fishing along the banks of the Iowa River.
- Exploring the Grimes Farm historic site and its 1880s farmstead.
- Browsing the unique shops and restaurants in the Marshalltown town square.
- Admiring the ornate architecture on the Marshall County Courthouse.
Marshall County offers a quintessential Midwest experience, with friendly small towns, natural beauty, and a rich agricultural heritage. Historic Marshalltown is the perfect home base for exploring it all.
Quick Facts about Marshall County
|Population :||39,495 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Iowa (United States)|
|Different from :||Marshall County, Marshall County, Marshall County, Marshall County, Marshall County, Marshall County, Marshall County, Marshall County, Marshall County, Marshall County, Marshall County|
|Area :||1484 km2|
|Official name :||Marshall County|
|Water as percent of area :||0.1%|
|Land as percent of area :||99.9%|
|Named for :||John Marshall|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1846|
|Time Zone :||UTC−05:00|
|Local time :||09:07:16 (4th October 2023)|
|Density :||27 Pop. per km² as of 2020|
|Population growth :||-2.92% (2010-2020)|
|Weather :||75℉ Slight Chance Showers And Thunderstorms 7-days weather|
Marshall County map
The largest city of Marshall County is Marshalltown with a population of 26,736. Other cities include, State Center population 1,432, Le Grand population 923, Melbourne population 796 and Albion population 493. See all Marshall County cities & populated places.
Marshall County Populated Places
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in Marshall County.
|Marshalltown||26,736||City in Marshal County, Iowa|
|State Center||1,432||City in Marshall County, Iowa, United States of America|
|Le Grand||923||City in Marshall County, Iowa, United States|
|Melbourne||796||City in Iowa, United States of America|
|Albion||493||City in Marshall County, Iowa|
|Gilman||484||City in Iowa, United States|
|Rhodes||298||City in Iowa, United States|
|Liscomb||296||Human settlement in Marshall County, Iowa, United States of America|
|Laurel||234||City in Marshall County, Iowa, USA|
|Haverhill||168||Human settlement in Marshall County, Iowa, United States of America|
|Clemons||141||Human settlement in Marshall County, Iowa, United States of America|
|Ferguson||122||City in Iowa, USA|
|Saint Anthony||101||City in Iowa, United States|
Marshall County forecast: A chance of rain showers before 7am, then a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 75. Chance of precipitation is 50%. more
- Official Website
Official website of Marshall County
According to census records, the population of Marshall County decreased by 2.92% in 10 years.
People born in Marshall County (1)
American botanist, teacher and botanical collector (1869-1951) Mary Alice Nichols was born in Marshall County
Other places with the same name (12)
- Marshall County , Alabama county in Alabama, United States with a population of 96,990 people.
- Marshall County , Indiana county in Indiana, United States with a population of 46,108 people.
- Marshall County , Mississippi county in Mississippi, United States with a population of 35,301 people.
- Marshall County , Tennessee county in Tennessee, United States with a population of 35,016 people.
- Marshall County , Kentucky county in Kentucky, United States with a population of 31,163 people.
- Marshall County , West Virginia county in West Virginia, United States with a population of 30,103 people.
- Marshall County , Oklahoma county in Oklahoma, United States with a population of 17,114 people.
- Marshall County , Illinois county in Illinois, United States with a population of 11,309 people.
- Marshall County , Kansas county in Kansas, United States with a population of 9,652 people.
- Marshall County , Minnesota county in Minnesota, United States with a population of 9,321 people.
- Marshall County , South Dakota county in South Dakota, United States with a population of 4,884 people.
Iowa Other Counties (more counties)
|Indiana||820,445||A city located in the state of Iowa.|
|Polk County||494,281||County in Iowa, United States|
|Linn County||227,854||County in Oregon, United States|
|Des Moines||212,312||The capital of Iowa.|
|Scott County||173,216||County in Tennessee, United States|
|Johnson County||153,740||County in Iowa, United States|
|Cedar Rapids||134,027||The second most populous city in Iowa.|
|Black Hawk County||130,786||County in Iowa, United States|
|Woodbury County||103,138||County in Iowa, United States of America|
|Davenport||101,799||The most populous city in Scott County, Iowa.|
|Story County||98,237||County in Iowa, United States|
|Dubuque County||97,590||County in Iowa, United States|
|Dallas County||96,963||County in Iowa, United States|
|Pottawattamie County||93,328||County in Iowa, United States of America|
|Sioux City||82,651||The second most populous city in Iowa.|
|Iowa City||75,130||The most populous city in Johnson County, Iowa.|