Louisville: The nineteenth most populous city in the United States and the center of the Louisville metropolitan area. It is located on the Ohio River in western Kentucky. Louisville is a major center for the transportation industry and is home to the Kentucky Derby.
Louisville is a city located in the county of Jefferson in the U.S. state of Kentucky. Its population at the 2010 census was 597,337 and a population density of 3,479 people per km². After 4 years in 2014 city had an estimated population of 760,026 inhabitants.
The city was created 245 years ago in 1777.
Louisville is the largest city in Kentucky and serves as the county seat of Jefferson County. As of July 29, 2023, its estimated population is 633,394 residents. Here are some key facts about Louisville:
Louisville was founded in 1778 at the Falls of the Ohio River. It emerged as a shipping port and major commercial center in the 1800s for steamboats and railroads.
Louisville is situated along the Ohio River in north central Kentucky. It has a humid subtropical climate and four distinct seasons.
Major companies based in Louisville include Humana, Yum! Brands, and Brown-Forman. Key industries include healthcare, logistics, food and beverage, and manufacturing.
Culture & Entertainment
Louisville is known for the Kentucky Derby horse race and baseball’s Louisville Slugger museum. It has a renowned restaurant scene specializing in Kentucky bourbon and cuisine.
Louisville has a diverse population including significant African American, Hispanic/Latino and international immigrant communities. It is Kentucky's largest and most cosmopolitan city.
In summary, Louisville combines Southern charm and hospitality with a global outlook and thriving economic opportunities as Kentucky's primary cultural, educational, and economic center.
Quick Facts about Louisville
|Population :||760,026 (2014)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Kentucky (United States)|
|County :||Jefferson County|
|Postal code :||41005|
|Phone Area Codes :||502|
|Area :||171.7 km2|
|Altitude :||466 feet / 142 meters|
|Capital city :||Louisville is capital of Jefferson County|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1778 (245 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||Eastern Time Zone|
|Local time :||05:33:44 (7th December 2023)|
|Density :||4,427 Pop. per km² as of 2014|
|Population growth :||21.41% (2010-2014)|
|Weather :||56℉ Sunny 7-days weather|
- Adapazarı (2012 )
- La Plata
- Leeds (2006 )
- Mainz (1977 )
The population of Louisville increased by 21.41% in 4 years.
Best Things to Do in Louisville
1 Louisville Zoo
1100 Trevilian Way, Louisville, KY 40213, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15024592181 🔗 Url
2 Kentucky Kingdom & Hurricane Bay
937 Phillips Ln, Louisville, KY 40209, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15028138200 🔗 Url
3 Churchill Downs
700 Central Ave, Louisville, KY 40208, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15026364400 🔗 Url
4 Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory
800 W Main St, Louisville, KY 40202, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18777758443 🔗 Url
5 Louisville Mega Cavern
1841 Taylor Ave, Louisville, KY 40213, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18776146342 🔗 Url
Where ot Eat in Louisville
1 KFC Yum! Center
1 Arena Plaza, Louisville, KY 40202, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15026909000 🔗 Url
2 Main Event Louisville
12500 Sycamore Station Pl, Louisville, KY 40299, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15022405555 🔗 Url
3 Joe's Crab Shack
131 River Rd, Louisville, KY 40202, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15025681171 🔗 Url
4 The Old Spaghetti Factory
235 W Market St, Louisville, KY 40202, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15025811070 🔗 Url
5 Wild Eggs
121 S Floyd St, Louisville, KY 40202, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15026905925 🔗 Url
Where to Stay in Louisville
1 Omni Louisville Hotel
400 S 2nd St, Louisville, KY 40202, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15023136664 🔗 Url
2 Hyatt Regency Louisville
320 W Jefferson St, Louisville, KY 40202, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15025811234 🔗 Url
3 The Seelbach Hilton Louisville
500 S 4th St, Louisville, KY 40202, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15025853200 🔗 Url
4 Embassy Suites by Hilton Louisville Downtown
501 S 4th St, Louisville, KY 40202, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15028133800 🔗 Url
5 Holiday Inn Express & Suites Louisville Downtown, an IHG Hotel
800 W Market St, Louisville, KY 40202, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15025832552 🔗 Url
People born in Louisville (200)
People born in Louisville, including mathematician, computer scientist, science fiction author and philosopher Rudy Rucker, ninth vice president of the United States Richard Mentor Johnson, jazz and blues singer Helen Humes, .
- James Kottak (American musician) he was born in 26/12/1962
- Danny Sullivan (American racecar driver) he was born in 09/03/1950
- Frank O'Bannon (American politician (1930-2003)) he was born in 30/01/1930
- Larry Birkhead (American photographer) he was born in 22/01/1973
- Billy Gilbert (American comedian and actor) he was born in 12/09/1894
- Abraham Flexner (American educator) he was born in 13/11/1866
- Hunter S. Thompson (American journalist and author (1937-2005)) he was born in 18/07/1937
- Irene Dunne (American actress) she was born in 20/12/1898
- Jennifer Carpenter (American actress) she was born in 07/12/1979
- Sean Young (Actress) she was born in 20/11/1959
- Sue Grafton (American writer (1940-2017)) she was born in 24/04/1940
- Mary T. Meagher (American swimmer, Olympic gold medalist, former world record-holder) she was born in 27/10/1964
- John Alagía (American record producer) he was born in 01/01/2000
- Vonda N. McIntyre (science fiction writer from United States of America (1948-2019)) she was born in 28/08/1948
- Alexandria Mills (Miss World 2010) she was born in 26/02/1992
- Robert Bingham (American writer) he was born in 14/03/1966
- Sarah Wright (American actress) she was born in 28/09/1983
- Telma Hopkins (Actress and singer) she was born in 28/10/1948
Schools in Louisville
College & universities near Louisville, KY
|157757||Spalding University||Louisville (KY)||40203-2188|
|156921||Jefferson Community and Technical College||Louisville (KY)||40202-2005|
|461759||Simmons College of Kentucky||Louisville (KY)||40203-3322|
|157289||University of Louisville||Louisville (KY)||40292-0001|
|449597||Ideal Beauty Academy||Jeffersonville (IN)||47130|
Amtrak & bus stations near Louisville, KY
|LVL||Louisville, Kentucky||720 West Muhammad Ali Blvd.||BUS|
Post offices near Louisville
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|4th Str Post Office||Louisville (KY)||40202|
|Downtown Louisvill Post Office||Louisville (KY)||40203|
|Jeffersonvill Post Office||Jeffersonville (IN)||47130|
|Baxter Post Office||Louisville (KY)||40204|
|Dr Martin Luther King Jr Post Office||Louisville (KY)||40211|
Other places with the same name (12)
- Louisville , Colorado city in Colorado with a population of 19,060 people.
- Louisville , Ohio city in Stark County, Ohio with a population of 9,378 people.
- Louisville , Ohio city in Stark County, Ohio with a population of 9,126 people.
- Louisville , Mississippi city in Winston County, Mississippi, United States of America with a population of 5,926 people.
- Louisville , Tennessee human settlement in Blount County, Tennessee, United States of America with a population of 4,139 people.
- Louisville , New York human settlement in St. Lawrence County, New York, United States of America with a population of 3,001 people.
- Louisville , Georgia city in and the county seat of Jefferson County, Georgia, United States with a population of 2,189 people.
- Louisville , Nebraska city in Cass County, Nebraska, United States with a population of 1,315 people.
- Louisville , Illinois village in Illinois with a population of 1,087 people.
- Louisville , Alabama town in Barbour County, Alabama, United States with a population of 457 people.
- Louisville , Kansas city in Pottawatomie County, Kansas, United States with a population of 228 people.
Other cities in Jefferson County
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in Jefferson County , KY. (more)
|Jeffersontown||27,562||City in Jefferson County, Kentucky, United States of America|
|Pleasure Ridge Park||25,813||City in Louisville, Kentucky, United States of America|
|Valley Station||22,756||Human settlement in Louisville, Kentucky, United States of America|
|Newburg||19,967||City in Phelps County, Missouri, United States|
|Fern Creek||18,409||City in Louisville, Kentucky, United States of America|
|Okolona||17,134||City in Chickasaw County, Mississippi, United States of America|
|Shively||15,690||Home rule-class city in Jefferson County, Kentucky, United States|
|Highview||15,167||City in Louisville, Kentucky, United States of America|
|Lyndon||11,445||City in the United States|
|Saint Dennis||9,177||Human settlement in Jefferson County, Kentucky, United States of America|
|Fairdale||8,148||City in Walsh County, North Dakota, United States of America|
|Middletown||7,898||City in Kentucky|
|Buechel||7,287||Human settlement in Louisville, Kentucky, United States of America|
|Douglass Hills||5,714||City in Jefferson County, Kentucky, United States of America|
|Prospect||4,842||City in Kentucky|
Distance to Other Cities
Louisville distances to largest Kentucky cities