Knoxville: The most populous city in Tennessee. It is located in the eastern part of the state. Knoxville is known for its many colleges and universities, its many parks and green spaces, and its many attractions, such as the Knoxville Zoo and the Museum of Art & Design.
Knoxville is a city located in the county of Knox in the U.S. state of Tennessee. Its population at the 2010 census was 178,874 and a population density of 663 people per km². After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 190,223 inhabitants.
The city was created 237 years ago in 1785.
Nestled in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, Knoxville mixes natural beauty with cultural attractions and urban amenities. Visitors will find Southern charm, hospitality, and delicious cuisine around every corner.
The Knoxville Urban Wilderness provides over 1,000 forested acres just minutes from downtown with hiking and biking trails. The nearby Great Smoky Mountains National Park offers stunning scenery and outdoor adventures.
Paddlers and anglers enjoy the Tennessee River waterfront in Knoxville, while golfers tee off at more than 50 courses in the surrounding area.
Music & Performing Arts
Home to the Tennessee Theatre, Knoxville hosts top musical and theatrical acts in its historic downtown venues. Free summer Shakespeare on the Square performances fill Market Square as food trucks and craft vendors add to the festive atmosphere.
For classical music lovers, the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra presents dozens of concerts at the beautifully restored Tennessee Theatre.
Visitors savor Knoxville's local flavors at eateries like OliBea showcasing artisanal ingredients with Southern flair. The famous Chocolatefest celebrates Knoxville's sweet heritage, while Market Square Farmers' Market highlights regional produce and products.
From hand-made chocolate truffles to iconic Tennessee Whiskey, Knoxville's food and drink perfectly match Southern cuisine with metropolitan sophistication.
Blending natural beauty, cultural charm, and delicious local flavors, Knoxville epitomizes the best of Tennessee.
Quick Facts about Knoxville
|Population :||190,223 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Tennessee (United States)|
|County :||Knox County|
|Postal code :||37902|
|Phone Area Codes :||865|
|Area :||269.79 km2|
|Official name :||Knoxville|
|Altitude :||886 feet / 270 meters|
|Capital city :||Knoxville is capital of Knox County|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1786 (237 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||America/New_York|
|Local time :||10:18:08 (6th December 2023)|
|Density :||705 Pop. per km² as of 2020|
|Population growth :||5.97% (2010-2020)|
|Weather :||47℉ Partly Sunny 7-days weather|
Indya Kincannon ,
- Chełm (1998 )
- Yesan County
The population of Knoxville increased by 5.97% in 10 years.
Best Things to Do in Knoxville
1 Zoo Knoxville
3500 Knoxville Zoo Dr, Knoxville, TN 37914, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18656375331 🔗 Url
2 DEFY Knoxville
11284 Threadstone Ln, Knoxville, TN 37932, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18652400633 🔗 Url
3 Ijams Nature Center
2915 Island Home Ave, Knoxville, TN 37920, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18655774717 🔗 Url
4 Victor Ashe Park
4901 Bradshaw Rd, Knoxville, TN 37912, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18652154311 🔗 Url
5 Concord Park
10960 Concord Park Dr, Knoxville, TN 37922, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18652156600 🔗 Url
Where ot Eat in Knoxville
1 Texas Roadhouse
3071 Kinzel Way, Knoxville, TN 37924, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18655404150 🔗 Url
2 Main Event Knoxville
9081 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37923, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18653515000 🔗 Url
3 Cracker Barrel Old Country Store
5001 Central Avenue Pike, Knoxville, TN 37912, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18656887396 🔗 Url
4 Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen
5615 Clinton Hwy, Knoxville, TN 37912, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18656873466 🔗 Url
9113 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37923, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18653571780 🔗 Url
Where to Stay in Knoxville
1 Hilton Knoxville
501 W Church Ave, Knoxville, TN 37902, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18655232300 🔗 Url
2 Crowne Plaza Knoxville Downtown University
401 W Summit Hill Dr SW, Knoxville, TN 37902, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18655222600 🔗 Url
3 Motel 6 Knoxville, TN
258 Harry Ln Blvd, Knoxville, TN 37923, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18656909777 🔗 Url
4 Holiday Inn Knoxville West- Cedar Bluff Rd, an IHG Hotel
9134 Executive Park Dr, Knoxville, TN 37923, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18656931011 🔗 Url
5 Red Roof Inn Knoxville Central - Papermill Road
1315 Kirby Rd, Knoxville, TN 37909, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18655843911 🔗 Url
Other Places in Knoxville
1 Tennessee Department of Agriculture Division of Forestry
2416 Fletcher Luck Ln, Knoxville, TN 37996, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +18655946432 🔗 Url
People born in Knoxville (200)
- Christina Hendricks (American actress) she was born in 03/05/1975
- Polly Bergen (American actress, singer, entrepreneur (1930-2014)) she was born in 14/07/1930
- Joseph Wood Krutch (American writer, critic, and naturalist) he was born in 25/11/1893
- Candy Reynolds (American tennis player) she was born in 24/03/1955
- Johnny Knoxville (American actor, stunt performer, and filmmaker) he was born in 11/03/1971
- David Farragut (United States Navy admiral) he was born in 05/07/1801
- Thomas C. Hindman (American politician and Confederate States Army general in the Civil War) he was born in 28/01/1828
- James Agee (American author, journalist, poet, screenwriter and film critic) he was born in 27/11/1909
- Victor Ashe (American politician) he was born in 01/01/1945
- Jake Thomas (actor, singer) he was born in 30/01/1990
- Mary Costa (singer) she was born in 05/04/1930
- Kenny Chesney (American country music singer/songwriter) he was born in 26/03/1968
- Dennis Hwang (graphic artist) he was born in 01/01/1978
- Andrew Humphreys (American politician (1821-1904)) he was born in 30/03/1821
- David Keith (actor, director) he was born in 08/05/1954
- Karl Edward Wagner (American writer) he was born in 12/12/1945
- Jason Witten (American football player, tight end) he was born in 06/05/1982
- Walt Simonson (American cartoonist and comics creator) he was born in 02/09/1946
Schools in Knoxville
College & universities near Knoxville, TN
|221759||The University of Tennessee-Knoxville||Knoxville (TN)||37996|
|221625||Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Knoxville||Knoxville (TN)||37919|
|220552||South College||Knoxville (TN)||37909-0000|
|221829||Tennessee School of Beauty of Knoxville Inc||Knoxville (TN)||37921|
|488068||Huntington University of Health Sciences||Knoxville (TN)||37918-8230|
Post offices near Knoxville
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Downtown Knoxvill Post Office||Knoxville (TN)||37902|
|South Knoxvill Post Office||Knoxville (TN)||37920|
|North Knoxvill Post Office||Knoxville (TN)||37917|
|Northwest Annex Post Office||Knoxville (TN)||37921|
|Burlington Post Office||Knoxville (TN)||37914|
Other places with the same name (5)
- Knoxville , Iowa city in and seat of Marion County, Iowa, United States with a population of 7,082 people.
- Knoxville , Illinois city in Knox County, Illinois, United States with a population of 2,692 people.
- Knoxville , Arkansas city in Arkansas, USA with a population of 754 people.
- Knoxville , Pennsylvania borough in Tioga County, Pennsylvania, in the United States with a population of 594 people.
Other cities in Knox County
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in Knox County , TN.
|Brentwood||42,876||A city in Williamson County, Tennessee.|
|Farragut||24,045||Town of the United States|
|Mascot||2,411||Census-designated place in Knox County, Tennessee|
|Garland||300||Place in Tennessee|
Distance to Other Cities
Knoxville distances to largest Tennessee cities