Corona: The second most populous city in Riverside County, California. It is located east of Los Angeles. Corona is known for its many car dealerships, its many parks and green spaces, and its many attractions, such as the Corona Historical Society Museum and the Auto Club Speedway.
Corona is a city located in the county of Riverside in the U.S. state of California. Its population at the 2010 census was 152,374. After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 170,996 inhabitants.
The city was created 127 years ago in 1896.
Corona is a city in Riverside County, California located about 50 miles southeast of Los Angeles. With a population of over 170,000, it is one of the larger cities in the Inland Empire region. Corona sits at the gateway to Orange County along State Route 91.
The area was originally inhabited by the Luiseño Native Americans. In 1886, the South Riverside Land and Water Company purchased the land and laid out plans for a town known as South Riverside. It was renamed Corona in 1896.
Corona became known for its citrus groves and was once dubbed “the lemon capital of the world.” The citrus industry drove much of Corona’s early economy and development through the first half of the 20th century.
Corona experienced rapid population growth in the 1980s and 1990s as the town shifted from agriculture to become a bedroom community for surrounding employment centers. The population grew over 500% between 1970 and 2000.
Attractions and Tourism
Some of Corona’s major attractions include:
- The Toyota Arena - A large event venue that hosts concerts and minor league sports.
- The Circle City Center - An outdoor retail and entertainment center.
- Tom’s Farms - A long-running fruit stand, farm store, and seasonal attraction.
- Sister City Program - Corona has formal Sister City relationships with cities in Mexico, Italy, and China.
In summary, Corona transformed in the late 20th century from a sleepy agricultural town known for citrus into a sizable commuter community for the Greater Los Angeles region while retaining some of its historic small town charm.
Quick Facts about Corona
|Population :||170,996 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||California (United States)|
|County :||Riverside County|
|Twitter username :||cityofcorona|
|Postal code :||92877–92883|
|Phone Area Codes :||951|
|Water as percent of area :||0.27%|
|Land as percent of area :||99.73%|
|Altitude :||2,228 feet / 679 meters|
|Establishment :||July 07, 1896 (127 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||Pacific Time Zone|
|Local time :||22:35:29 (30th November 2023)|
|Population growth :||10.89% (2010-2020)|
The population of Corona increased by 10.89% in 10 years.
People born in Corona (61)
- Ken Calvert (American politician) he was born in 08/06/1953
- Cirilo Flores (Bishop of San Diego) he was born in 20/06/1948
- Matt Kalil (American football player, offensive tackle) he was born in 06/07/1989
- Gary Webb (American investigative journalist) he was born in 31/08/1955
- Ricky Nolasco (baseball player) he was born in 13/12/1982
- Luke Brookshier (American screenwriter and director) he was born in 31/08/1971
- Anthony Goods (American basketball player) he was born in 21/06/1987
- Lena Nicole (American model and movie actress.) she was born in 01/10/1986
- Crystal Lewis (American contemporary Christian/Gospel vocalist, songwriter and author) she was born in 11/09/1969
- Demetrius Wright (American football player) he was born in 19/12/1991
- Denny Lemaster (American baseball player) he was born in 25/02/1939
- Doug Bird (American baseball player) he was born in 05/05/1950
- Garth Gerhart (Player of American football) he was born in 21/10/1988
- Joey DiGiamarino (Footballer) he was born in 06/04/1977
- Matt Scott (American football player) he was born in 20/09/1990
- Mike Darr (baseball player) he was born in 21/03/1976
- Patrick Sanders (American basketball player) he was born in 27/08/1985
- Rene Corona (American soccer player) he was born in 17/08/1984
Schools in Corona
College & universities near Corona, CA
|121868||Salon Success Academy-Corona||Corona (CA)||92881|
|479974||Advance Beauty Techs Academy||San Jacinto (CA)||92583-6572|
|460464||Norco College||Norco (CA)||92860|
|422835||American College of Healthcare and Technology||Riverside (CA)||92505|
|117627||La Sierra University||Riverside (CA)||92505-8247|
Amtrak & bus stations near Corona, CA
|RIV||Riverside–Downtown||4066 Vine St.||RAIL|
|ONA||Ontario||228 South Plum Street||RAIL|
|MOV||Moreno Valley, California||2650 East Alessandro Blvd.||BUS|
|POS||Pomona station||100 West Commercial Street||RAIL|
|CLM||Claremont, California||200 West First St.||BUS|
Post offices near Corona
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Corona Post Office||Corona (CA)||92878|
|Citru Post Office||Corona (CA)||92877|
|Nor Post Office||Norco (CA)||92860|
|Arlington Post Office||Riverside (CA)||92503|
|Mira Loma Post Office||Jurupa Valley (CA)||91752|
Other places with the same name (3)
Other cities in Riverside County
Cities, towns, neighborhoods & other populated places in Riverside County , CA. (more)
|Riverside||330,786||The most populous city in Riverside County, California and the center of the Riverside metropolitan area.|
|Moreno Valley||212,349||The fifth most populous city in Riverside County, California.|
|Murrieta||116,522||The most populous city in Riverside County, California.|
|Temecula||113,878||The most populous city in southwestern Riverside County, California.|
|Jurupa Valley||109,745||The most populous city in Riverside County, California.|
|Menifee||97,675||The most populous city in Riverside County, California.|
|Indio||91,919||A city in Riverside County, California.|
|Hemet||85,161||A city in Riverside County, California.|
|Perris||79,011||The second most populous city in Riverside County, California.|
|Lake Elsinore||65,867||The most populous city in Lake County, California.|
|Cathedral City||55,007||A city in Riverside County, California.|
|Palm Desert||53,524||A city in Riverside County, California.|
|Beaumont||51,449||A city in San Bernardino County, California.|
|San Jacinto||51,122||Town in Riverside County, California, USA|
|Palm Springs||48,929||A city in Riverside County, California.|
|Coachella||46,564||A city in Riverside County, California.|
Distance to Other Cities
Corona distances to largest California cities