Athens Mercer County, West Virginia
Athens: Town in West Virginia, United States
Athens is a town located in the county of Mercer in the U.S. state of West Virginia. Its population at the 2010 census was 1,048 and a population density of 1,025 people per km². After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 890 inhabitants.
Athens Quick Facts
|Population :||890 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||West Virginia (United States)|
|County :||Mercer County|
|Postal code :||24712|
|Phone Area Codes :||304|
|Area :||1.02 km2|
|Altitude :||2,585 feet / 788, 789 meters|
|Time Zone :||UTC−05:00|
|Local time :||18:50:58 (27th May 2022)|
|Density :||871 Pop. per km² as of 2020|
|Population growth :||-17.75% (2010-2020)|
Athens is located at 37°25'20"N 81°0'58"W (37.4223400, -81.0162000).
- Official Website
Official website of Athens
According to census records, the population of Athens decreased by 17.75% in 10 years.
|Estimated population as of July 1, 2019 :||26,987|
|Based on demographic estimates as of April 1, 2010 :||26,767|
|Based on demographic estimates as of 1 April 2010 :||0.8%|
|April 1, 2020 Population :||27,147|
|April 1, 2010 Population :||26,702|
|People under 5 years old, percentage :||5.3%|
|People under 18 years old, percentage :||21.0%|
|People over 65 (%) :||19.8%|
|Female persons, % :||51.6%|
|White only, percent :||91.7%|
|Black or African American alone, percent :||3.1%|
|American Indian and Alaska Native only, % :||0.1%|
|Asians alone % :||0.5%|
|Only Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders, % :||0.0%|
|% of people who have participated in two or more races :||3.3%|
|% of Hispanic or Latino :||2.5%|
|White people, not Hispanic or Latino people, make up the majority of the population. :||90.9%|
|2015-2019 Veterans :||2,067|
|Percentage of foreign-born people, 2015-2019 :||1.8%|
|Rate of owner-occupied housing units, 2015-2019 :||66.0%|
|Rate of owner-occupied housing units, 2015-2019 :||66.0%|
|Owner-occupied housing unit median value, 2015-2019 :||$133,600|
|From 2015 to 2019, the median selected monthly owner costs - with a mortgage :||$1,040|
|Monthly owner costs, without a mortgage, at the median, 2015-2019 :||$364|
|2015-2019 median gross rent :||$666|
|2015-2019 Households :||11,450|
|Population per household, 2015-2019 :||2.29|
|Living in the same house a year ago, percentage of people aged one year and up, 2015-2019 :||86.3%|
|Languages other than English spoken at home, as a percentage of people aged 5 and up, 2015-2019 :||3.0%|
|Households with computers, %, 2015-2019 :||85.7%|
|Percentage of households with a broadband Internet subscription, 2015-2019 :||80.2%|
|Percentage of people aged 25 and up with a high school diploma or higher, 2015-2019 :||87.9%|
|Bachelor's degree or higher, proportion of people aged 25 and up, 2015-2019 :||25.6%|
|Percentage of people under the age of 65 who have a disability, 2015-2019 :||14.6%|
|Persons under the age of 65 who do not have health insurance, as a percentage :||13.5%|
|Total civilian labor force, percent of population aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||57.0%|
|Female labor force participation in the civilian labor force, as a percentage of the population aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||50.3%|
|Total sales of lodging and food services in 2012 ($1,000) :||58,453|
|Total receipts/revenue for health care and social assistance in 2012 ($1,000) :||454,954|
|Manufacturers' total shipments in 2012 ($1,000) :||1,512,060|
|2012 total retail sales ($1,000) :||597,197|
|2012 total retail sales per capita :||$22,388|
|Mean commute time to work (in minutes), workers aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||21.2|
|2015-2019 median household income (in 2019 dollars) :||$42,010|
|Income per capita in the previous 12 months (in 2019 dollars), 2015-2019 :||$25,168|
|Percentage of people living in poverty :||20.8%|
|Total number of businesses in 2012 :||2,060|
|Men-owned businesses in 2012 :||966|
|Women-owned businesses in 2012 :||638|
|Minority-owned businesses in 2012 :||115|
|Non-minority-owned businesses in 2012 :||1,807|
|Veteran-owned businesses in 2012 :||204|
|Nonveteran-owned businesses in 2012 :||1,651|
|2010 population per square mile :||826.8|
|2010 land area in square miles :||32.30|
Schools in Athens
College & universities near Athens, WV
|237330||Concord University||Athens (WV)||24712|
Amtrak & bus stations near Athens, WV
|HIN||Hinton||Front St. and Fifth Ave.||RAIL|
|ALD||Alderson||1 C&O Plaza on Railroad Plaza||RAIL|
|PRC||Prince||Hwy 41 and County Road 25||RAIL|
|BLK||Blacksburg, VA||291 Alumni Mall -- Transit Concourse||BUS|
|THN||Thurmond||Hwy 25 & Hwy 2||RAIL|
Post offices near Athens
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Athen Post Office||Athens (WV)||24712|
Other places with the same name (16)
- Athens , Georgia consolidated city-county and county seat of Clarke County, Georgia, United States with a population of 116,714 people.
- Athens , Alabama county seat of Limestone County, Alabama, United States with a population of 28,643 people.
- Athens , Ohio town in Ohio with a population of 24,600 people.
- Athens , Tennessee town in Tennessee, United States with a population of 14,120 people.
- Athens , Texas city in Texas with a population of 12,770 people.
- Athens , New York city in Greene County, New York, United States of America with a population of 3,946 people.
- Athens , Pennsylvania borough in Pennsylvania, United States with a population of 3,180 people.
- Athens , Missouri township in Missouri with a population of 2,080 people.
- Athens , Illinois city in Menard County, Illinois, United States with a population of 1,893 people.
- Athens , Wisconsin village in Marathon County, Wisconsin with a population of 1,079 people.
- Athens , Michigan village in Michigan with a population of 996 people.
- Athens , Maine town in Maine, United States with a population of 976 people.
- Athens , Vermont town in Windham County, Vermont with a population of 435 people.
- Athens , Louisiana village in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana, United States with a population of 265 people.
- Athens , Kansas unincorporated community in Woodson County, Kansas, USA with a population of 47 people.
Other cities in Mercer County
Cities, Towns, Neighborhoods & Other Populated Places in Mercer County , WV.
|Bluefield||9,505||City in Mercer County, West Virginia, United States|
|Princeton||5,599||City in Mercer County, Missouri|
|Piedmont||792||Town in Mineral County, West Virginia, United States|
|Bramwell||334||Town of the United States|
|Matoaka||193||Human settlement in Mercer County, West Virginia, United States of America|
|Oakvale||109||Human settlement in Mercer County, West Virginia, United States of America|