Albany, Albany County, New York
Albany: Capital of New York, United States and seat of Albany County
Albany is a city located in the county of Albany in the U.S. state of New York. Its population at the 2010 census was 97,856. After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 95,429 inhabitants.
The city was created 337 years ago in 1685.
Albany is the capital city of New York State. Downtown’s huge Empire State Plaza has reflecting pools, an art-filled underground shopping concourse and The Egg, a striking performing arts center. The plaza is bookended by the 1800s New York State Capitol and the New York State Museum, focusing on natural and cultural history. The Albany Institute of History and Art is famed for its Hudson River School paintings.
Albany was founded in 1614 by the Dutch as Fort Orange, but it wasn't until 1686 that they built their first permanent settlement there—which is now known as Downtown. By 1797, Albany had become the state capital and was incorporated as a city. The city has grown steadily since then, with a population that peaked at around 100,000 during World War II before declining over time to about 96 thousand today.
Albany's population is 96,860 (as of 2020) and its area code is 518. Its mayor is Kathy Sheehan.
Albany is also home to small businesses, including several breweries, distilleries and wineries that are within walking distance from downtown hotels. The city's Amtrak station is just a few minutes from downtown as well.
The downtown area is divided into four neighborhoods: Center Square/Hudson/Park South; West Capitol Park; Mansion Historic District; and South End/Hill/Rensselaerwyck Historic Districts. There are also five historic districts within these neighborhoods: Hudson-Park Historic District; Mansion Historic District; Park South Historic District; Rensselaerwyck Historic District; and West Capitol Park Historic District.
Albany is about an hour south of Saratoga Springs and about an hour north of Schenectady, both of which have their own charm.
Quick Facts about Albany
|Population :||95,429 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||New York (United States)|
|County :||Albany County|
|Twitter username :||AlbanyCityHall|
|Postal code :||12214, 12201–12212, 12220, 12222–12232|
|Phone Area Codes :||518|
|Official name :||Albany|
|Altitude :||377 feet / 115 meters|
|Capital city :||Albany is capital of Albany County, New York|
|Establishment :||January 01, 1686 (337 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||America/New_York, Eastern Time Zone, UTC−04:00, UTC−05:00|
|Local time :||07:56:24 (9th February 2023)|
|Population growth :||-2.54% (2010-2020)|
- Kathy Sheehan , 2014-01-01T00:00:00Z
- Gerald Jennings , 31 December, 2013 1994-01-01T00:00:00Z
- Quebec City
- Tula (1992 )
According to census records, the population of Albany decreased by 2.54% in 10 years.
Other Places in Albany
1 Albany City Hall
24 Eagle St, Albany, NY 12207 ➦ Show Map
☎ +15184345075 🔗 Url
2 NY State Education Department Office of the Professions Division of Professional Licensing Services Pharmacy Unit
89 Washington Ave, Albany, NY 12234, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15184743817 🔗 Url
3 New York State Education Department
89 Washington Ave, Albany, NY 12234, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15184743852 🔗 Url
4 Albany Parking Violations
24 Eagle St #203, Albany, NY 12207 ➦ Show Map
☎ +15184345006 🔗 Url
5 Albany Board Of Education
12 Elk St, Albany, NY 12207, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ 🔗 Url
6 New York State Education Department
80 Wolf Rd #203, Albany, NY 12205, United States ➦ Show Map
☎ +15184859373 🔗 Url
People born in Albany (200)
- Andy Rooney (writer, humorist, television personality (1911-2011)) he was born in 14/01/1919
- Jon Bogdanove (American comic book artist and writer) he was born in 07/05/1958
- Joseph Henry (American scientist and the 1st Secretary of the Smithsonian) he was born in 17/12/1797
- Nicole Stott (American engineer and NASA astronaut) she was born in 19/11/1962
- John McTiernan (American film director and producer) he was born in 08/01/1951
- Pamela Adlon (American actress, voice actress, screenwriter, producer, and director) she was born in 09/07/1966
- Jan Kerouac (writer) she was born in 16/02/1952
- Bret Harte (American author and poet) he was born in 25/08/1836
- Leslie Groves (United States Army Corps of Engineers officer) he was born in 17/08/1896
- Martin Seligman (American psychologist and writer) he was born in 12/08/1942
- Allen Mandelbaum (American poet and professor of literature, translator from Latin and Italian) he was born in 04/05/1926
- Abraham Yates, Jr. (American politician (1724-1796)) he was born in 23/08/1724
- John McKeon (American politician (1808-1883)) he was born in 29/03/1808
- Philip Sheridan (United States Army general (1831-1888)) he was born in 06/03/1831
- Theobald Smith (American epidemiologist) he was born in 31/07/1859
- Ginny Brown-Waite (American politician) she was born in 05/10/1943
- Carolee Carmello (American actress and singer) she was born in 01/09/1962
- Charles Fort (American writer) he was born in 06/08/1874
Schools in Albany
College & universities near Albany, NY
|448974||Branford Hall Career Institute-Albany Campus||Albany (NY)||12210|
|188526||Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences||Albany (NY)||12208-3492|
|188535||Albany Law School||Albany (NY)||12208|
|188580||Albany Medical College||Albany (NY)||12208-3479|
|407434||Orlo School of Hair Design and Cosmetology||Albany (NY)||12206|
Amtrak & bus stations near Albany, NY
|ALB||Albany–Rensselaer||525 East St.||RAIL|
|SDY||Schenectady||332 Erie Blvd.||RAIL|
|HUD||Hudson||69 South Front St.||RAIL|
|PIT||Joseph Scelsi Intermodal Transportation Center||1 Columbus Avenue||RAIL|
|SRK||Saratoga Springs, NY||267 Union Avenue||BUS|
Post offices near Albany
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Capitol Post Office||Albany (NY)||12224|
|Empire State Plaza Post Office||Albany (NY)||12210|
|Albany Annex Post Office||Albany (NY)||12207|
|Hudson Avenu Post Office||Albany (NY)||12207|
|Fort Orang Post Office||Albany (NY)||12206|
Other places with the same name (16)
- Albany , Georgia county seat of Dougherty County, Georgia, United States with a population of 70,839 people.
- Albany , Oregon city in Oregon, USA with a population of 56,129 people.
- Albany , California city in Alameda County, California, United States with a population of 20,031 people.
- Albany , Indiana town in Delaware and Randolph counties in the U.S. state of Indiana with a population of 2,136 people.
- Albany , Kentucky city in Clinton County, Kentucky, United States with a population of 1,979 people.
- Albany , Texas city in Shackelford County, Texas, United States with a population of 1,958 people.
- Albany , Missouri city in Missouri with a population of 1,650 people.
- Albany , Louisiana human settlement in Louisiana, United States of America with a population of 1,170 people.
- Albany , Minnesota city in Stearns County, Minnesota, United States with a population of 1,052 people.
- Albany , Pennsylvania unincorporated community in Berks County, Pennsylvania with a population of 909 people.
- Albany , Vermont town in Vermont with a population of 904 people.
- Albany , Ohio village in Athens County, Ohio, United States with a population of 892 people.
- Albany , Illinois village in Whiteside County, Illinois, United States with a population of 856 people.
- Albany , Wisconsin village in Green County, Wisconsin with a population of 783 people.
- Albany , New Hampshire town in New Hampshire with a population of 749 people.
Other cities in Albany County
Cities, Towns, Neighborhoods & Other Populated Places in Albany County , NY. (more)
|West Albany||93,794||City in New York, United States of America|
|Guilderland||34,083||Town in Albany County, New York, United States|
|Cohoes||16,583||City in New York, USA|
|Tarrytown||11,285||Village in town of Greenburgh, Westchester County, New York, United States|
|Watervliet||9,807||City in New York, USA|
|New Scotland||8,588||Town in New York|
|Delmar||8,195||Town in Sussex County, Delaware, United States|
|Colonie||7,564||Town in Albany County, New York, United States|
|Westmere||7,284||Human settlement in New York, United States of America|
|Coeymans||7,227||Town in New York, USA|
|Menands||3,832||Village in Albany County, New York, United States|
|Westerlo||3,257||Town in New York state, United States|
|Ravena||3,154||City in Albany County, New York, United States of America|
|Green Island||2,879||Coterminous town-village in New York, United States of America|
|Voorheesville||2,750||City in Albany County, New York, United States of America|
|Berne||2,748||Town in Albany County, New York, US|
Distance to Other Cities
Albany distances to largest New York cities