Newton, Baker County, Georgia
Newton: City in and the county seat of Baker County, Georgia, United States
Newton is a city located in the county of Baker in the U.S. state of Georgia. Its population at the 2010 census was 654. After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 558 inhabitants.
Quick Facts about Newton
|Population :||558 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||Georgia (United States)|
|County :||Baker County|
|Different from :||Newton County|
|Phone Area Codes :||229|
|Water as percent of area :||3.5%|
|Land as percent of area :||96.5%|
|Altitude :||141 feet / 43 meters|
|Capital city :||Newton is capital of Baker County|
|Time Zone :||America/New_York|
|Local time :||01:31:57 (1st April 2023)|
|Postal code :||39870|
|Population growth :||-17.2% (2010-2020)|
Newton is located at 31°18'47"N 84°20'9"W (31.3129600, -84.3357400).
According to census records, the population of Newton decreased by 17.2% in 10 years.
|Estimated population as of July 1, 2019 :||6,402|
|Based on demographic estimates as of April 1, 2010 :||5,464|
|Based on demographic estimates as of 1 April 2010 :||17.2%|
|April 1, 2020 Population :||6,656|
|April 1, 2010 Population :||5,470|
|People under 5 years old, percentage :||8.6%|
|People under 18 years old, percentage :||33.2%|
|People over 65 (%) :||6.4%|
|Female persons, % :||53.1%|
|White only, percent :||88.0%|
|Black or African American alone, percent :||3.0%|
|American Indian and Alaska Native only, % :||0.0%|
|Asians alone % :||1.6%|
|Only Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders, % :||0.0%|
|% of people who have participated in two or more races :||1.4%|
|% of Hispanic or Latino :||14.6%|
|White people, not Hispanic or Latino people, make up the majority of the population. :||79.3%|
|2015-2019 Veterans :||186|
|Percentage of foreign-born people, 2015-2019 :||8.9%|
|Rate of owner-occupied housing units, 2015-2019 :||70.6%|
Newton zip code is 39870. County name: Baker, County fips: 13007
N'juton, Njuton, n'yutana, nywtn, nywtn jwrjya, Њутон, Ньютон, نيوتن, نیوتن، جورجیا, نیوٹن، جارجیا, न्युटन
|Rate of owner-occupied housing units, 2015-2019 :||70.6%|
|Owner-occupied housing unit median value, 2015-2019 :||$235,900|
|From 2015 to 2019, the median selected monthly owner costs - with a mortgage :||$1,797|
|Monthly owner costs, without a mortgage, at the median, 2015-2019 :||$548|
|2015-2019 median gross rent :||$1,110|
|2015-2019 Households :||2,124|
|Population per household, 2015-2019 :||2.93|
|Living in the same house a year ago, percentage of people aged one year and up, 2015-2019 :||87.0%|
|Languages other than English spoken at home, as a percentage of people aged 5 and up, 2015-2019 :||14.7%|
|Households with computers, %, 2015-2019 :||90.1%|
|Percentage of households with a broadband Internet subscription, 2015-2019 :||87.2%|
|Percentage of people aged 25 and up with a high school diploma or higher, 2015-2019 :||91.5%|
|Bachelor's degree or higher, proportion of people aged 25 and up, 2015-2019 :||23.6%|
|Percentage of people under the age of 65 who have a disability, 2015-2019 :||6.2%|
|Persons under the age of 65 who do not have health insurance, as a percentage :||6.3%|
|Total civilian labor force, percent of population aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||81.3%|
|Female labor force participation in the civilian labor force, as a percentage of the population aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||75.8%|
|2012 total retail sales ($1,000) :||77,892|
|2012 total retail sales per capita :||$13,356|
|Mean commute time to work (in minutes), workers aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||27.7|
|2015-2019 median household income (in 2019 dollars) :||$74,167|
|Income per capita in the previous 12 months (in 2019 dollars), 2015-2019 :||$30,325|
|Percentage of people living in poverty :||14.3%|
|Total number of businesses in 2012 :||529|
|Men-owned businesses in 2012 :||256|
|Women-owned businesses in 2012 :||185|
|Minority-owned businesses in 2012 :||46|
|Non-minority-owned businesses in 2012 :||479|
|Veteran-owned businesses in 2012 :||36|
|Nonveteran-owned businesses in 2012 :||461|
|2010 population per square mile :||1,664.6|
|2010 land area in square miles :||3.29|
People born in Newton (2)
People born in Newton, including baseball player Bob Trice, Civil rights activist Shirley Sherrod, .
Schools in Newton
College & universities near Newton, GA
|138682||Albany Technical College||Albany (GA)||31701|
|138716||Albany State University||Albany (GA)||31705|
Post offices near Newton
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Newton Post Office||Newton (GA)||39870|
|Camilla Post Office||Camilla (GA)||31730|
|Baconton Post Office||Baconton (GA)||31716|
|Leary Post Office||Leary (GA)||39862|
|Pelham Post Office||Pelham (GA)||31779|
Other places with the same name (15)
- Newton , Massachusetts city in Massachusetts, United States with a population of 87,803 people.
- Newton , Kansas city in Kansas with a population of 18,744 people.
- Newton , Iowa city in and the county seat of Jasper County, Illinois, United States with a population of 15,127 people.
- Newton , North Carolina city in Catawba County, North Carolina, United States with a population of 13,224 people.
- Newton , New Jersey town in Sussex County, New Jersey, United States with a population of 7,977 people.
- Newton , New Hampshire town in New Hampshire, in the United States with a population of 4,934 people.
- Newton , Mississippi city in Newton County, Mississippi with a population of 3,123 people.
- Newton , Pennsylvania borough in Bucks County, Pennsylvania with a population of 2,833 people.
- Newton , Texas city in Newton County, Mississippi with a population of 2,329 people.
- Newton , Alabama town in Dale County, Alabama, United States with a population of 1,451 people.
- Newton , Utah town in Cache County, Utah, United States with a population of 810 people.
- Newton , Indiana city in Newton County, Mississippi with a population of 776 people.
- Newton , Wisconsin civil town in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin with a population of 559 people.
- Newton , Illinois city in and the county seat of Jasper County, Illinois, United States with a population of 428 people.