Chester, Morris County, New Jersey
Chester: Borough in Morris County, New Jersey
Chester is a city located in the county of Morris in the U.S. state of New Jersey. Its population at the 2010 census was 1,649 and a population density of 399 people per km². After 10 years in 2020 city had an estimated population of 1,620 inhabitants.
The city was created 92 years ago in 1930.
Quick Facts about Chester
|Population :||1,620 (2020)|
|Country :||United States of America|
|State :||New Jersey (United States)|
|County :||Morris County|
|Postal code :||07930|
|Area :||4.13 km2|
|Altitude :||2,841 feet / 866 meters|
|Establishment :||April 04, 1930 (92 years ago)|
|Time Zone :||Eastern Time Zone|
|Local time :||14:21:17 (23rd March 2023)|
|Density :||392 Pop. per km² as of 2020|
|Population growth :||-1.79% (2010-2020)|
Chester is located at 40°47'3"N 74°41'49"W (40.7842700, -74.6968300).
- Official Website
Official website of Chester
According to census records, the population of Chester decreased by 1.79% in 10 years.
|Estimated population as of July 1, 2019 :||7,539|
|Based on demographic estimates as of April 1, 2010 :||7,063|
|Based on demographic estimates as of 1 April 2010 :||6.7%|
|April 1, 2020 Population :||7,896|
|April 1, 2010 Population :||7,044|
|People under 5 years old, percentage :||5.4%|
|People under 18 years old, percentage :||28.7%|
|People over 65 (%) :||9.4%|
|Female persons, % :||52.2%|
|White only, percent :||92.8%|
|Black or African American alone, percent :||3.2%|
|American Indian and Alaska Native only, % :||0.0%|
|Asians alone % :||0.9%|
|Only Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders, % :||0.0%|
|% of people who have participated in two or more races :||2.0%|
|% of Hispanic or Latino :||0.0%|
|White people, not Hispanic or Latino people, make up the majority of the population. :||92.8%|
|2015-2019 Veterans :||401|
|Percentage of foreign-born people, 2015-2019 :||1.6%|
|Rate of owner-occupied housing units, 2015-2019 :||71.9%|
|Rate of owner-occupied housing units, 2015-2019 :||71.9%|
|Owner-occupied housing unit median value, 2015-2019 :||$250,400|
|From 2015 to 2019, the median selected monthly owner costs - with a mortgage :||$1,786|
|Monthly owner costs, without a mortgage, at the median, 2015-2019 :||$523|
|2015-2019 median gross rent :||$970|
|2015-2019 Households :||2,872|
|Population per household, 2015-2019 :||2.59|
|Living in the same house a year ago, percentage of people aged one year and up, 2015-2019 :||85.6%|
|Languages other than English spoken at home, as a percentage of people aged 5 and up, 2015-2019 :||2.8%|
|Households with computers, %, 2015-2019 :||93.2%|
|Percentage of households with a broadband Internet subscription, 2015-2019 :||87.4%|
|Percentage of people aged 25 and up with a high school diploma or higher, 2015-2019 :||96.8%|
|Bachelor's degree or higher, proportion of people aged 25 and up, 2015-2019 :||29.3%|
|Percentage of people under the age of 65 who have a disability, 2015-2019 :||6.0%|
|Persons under the age of 65 who do not have health insurance, as a percentage :||2.1%|
|Total civilian labor force, percent of population aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||84.1%|
|Female labor force participation in the civilian labor force, as a percentage of the population aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||78.2%|
|Total receipts/revenue for health care and social assistance in 2012 ($1,000) :||7,270|
|Manufacturers' total shipments in 2012 ($1,000) :||36,299|
|2012 total retail sales ($1,000) :||254,910|
|2012 total retail sales per capita :||$35,542|
|Mean commute time to work (in minutes), workers aged 16 and up, 2015-2019 :||28.9|
|2015-2019 median household income (in 2019 dollars) :||$85,357|
|Income per capita in the previous 12 months (in 2019 dollars), 2015-2019 :||$35,808|
|Percentage of people living in poverty :||1.5%|
|Total number of businesses in 2012 :||848|
|Men-owned businesses in 2012 :||400|
|Women-owned businesses in 2012 :||283|
|Minority-owned businesses in 2012 :||41|
|Non-minority-owned businesses in 2012 :||729|
|Veteran-owned businesses in 2012 :||F|
|Nonveteran-owned businesses in 2012 :||701|
|2010 population per square mile :||1,611.4|
|2010 land area in square miles :||4.37|
People born in Chester (3)
People born in Chester, including USAF airman Larry W. Maysey, US association football player Jared Stroud, football tight end Matt Flanagan, .
Schools in Chester
College & universities near Chester, NJ
|490300||Cutting Edge Academy||Succasunna (NJ)||07876-1311|
|183974||Centenary University||Hackettstown (NJ)||07840|
|184180||County College of Morris||Randolph (NJ)||07869-2086|
|186186||Rabbinical College of America||Morristown (NJ)||07960-3600|
|185174||Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art||Dover (NJ)||07801|
Amtrak & bus stations near Chester, NJ
|NBK||New Brunswick station||French and Albany Streets||RAIL|
|MET||Metropark station||100 Middlesex-Essex Turnpike||RAIL|
|EWR||Newark Liberty International Airport||Newark Liberty International Airport||RAIL|
|NWK||Pennsylvania Station||1 Raymond Plaza West||RAIL|
|PJC||Princeton Junction station||2 Wallace Road||RAIL|
Post offices near Chester
|Post Office Name||City||ZIP|
|Chester Post Office||Chester (NJ)||07930|
|Flander Post Office||Flanders (NJ)||07836|
|Long Valley Post Office||Long Valley (NJ)||07853|
|Gladston Post Office||Gladstone (NJ)||07934|
|Ironia Post Office||Ironia (NJ)||07845|
Other places with the same name (22)
- Chester , Illinois city in Illinois with a population of 8,145 people.
- Chester , South Carolina small rural city in Chester County, South Carolina, United States with a population of 5,363 people.
- Chester , New Hampshire human settlement in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States of America with a population of 5,278 people.
- Chester , Connecticut town in Middlesex County, Connecticut, United States with a population of 4,175 people.
- Chester , Pennsylvania city in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States with a population of 4,072 people.
- Chester , New York village in Orange County, New York with a population of 3,247 people.
- Chester , Ohio human settlement in Ohio, United States of America with a population of 3,107 people.
- Chester , Vermont town in Windsor County, Vermont, United States with a population of 3,018 people.
- Chester , West Virginia city in West Virginia, USA with a population of 2,313 people.
- Chester , Michigan township in Eaton County, Michigan with a population of 2,058 people.
- Chester , Georgia city in Dodge County, Georgia, United States with a population of 1,560 people.
- Chester , Massachusetts town in Hampden County, Massachusetts, United States with a population of 1,365 people.
- Chester , Indiana city in United States of America with a population of 938 people.
- Chester , Montana town in and the county seat of Liberty County, Montana, United States with a population of 870 people.
- Chester , South Dakota township in Lake County, South Dakota with a population of 765 people.
- Chester , Maine town of the United States with a population of 523 people.
- Chester , Minnesota unincorporated community in Olmsted County, Minnesota with a population of 456 people.
- Chester , Texas town in Tyler County, Texas, United States with a population of 310 people.
- Chester , Nebraska human settlement in Thayer County, Nebraska, United States of America with a population of 218 people.
- Chester , Arkansas city in Arkansas with a population of 159 people.
- Chester , Iowa city in Howard County, Iowa, United States with a population of 120 people.
Other cities in Morris County
Cities, Towns, Neighborhoods & Other Populated Places in Morris County , NJ. (more)
|Parsippany||51,144||Township in Morris County, New Jersey, United States|
|Monroe||44,884||Township in Gloucester County, New Jersey|
|Mount Olive||28,815||Township of New Jersey|
|Montville||20,970||Township in Morris County, New Jersey|
|Morristown||18,594||Town in Morris County, New Jersey, USA|
|Dover||17,619||Town in New Jersey, USA|
|Madison||17,612||Borough in Morris County, New Jersey, United States|
|Denville||16,362||Township in Morris County, New Jersey|
|Pequannock||14,884||Township of New Jersey|
|Hanover||14,173||Township in Morris County, New Jersey, United States|
|Florham Park||11,824||Borough in Morris County, New Jersey|
|East Hanover||10,868||Township of New Jersey|
|Kinnelon||9,852||Borough in Morris County, New Jersey, United States|
|Budd Lake||8,968||Census designated place|
|White Meadow Lake||8,836||Census designated place|
|Chatham||8,601||Borough in Morris County, New Jersey|
Distance to Other Cities
Chester distances to largest New Jersey cities